Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Ron Beyers out yesterday and we basically got our asses handed to us for nine hours. I ran slowly (because of all the floating wood) all the way to the inlet and found 49 degree water there. Caught 15 lb carp is all�� It took us nine hours to work our way down the lake and hit 15 spots I trust and still nothing but slimers. Finally I found a bank area that had fallen into the water and it was in the shade. From 6-7 I got three eyes 19-21 inches on jerkbaits. Neither of the males were milting yet?

If you go down be ready to work hard for your fish!! Water is anywhere from 44-49 degrees. Stay on the eastern half if you run at night because of all the floating hazards!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Better fishing can't be far away with these temps. Bet that carp put a bend in your rod!!!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I was down there in my toon Neal. A lot of the river is like a big lake right now. So many new places to fish that it's hard to fish well. You could spend a week just in the river learning and looking for new spots and still not hit them all. I was able to run my toon up river a mile further than I'd ever been able to go before. the water was still two and a half feet deep and could have went further, but the current was getting tough and the fishing hadn't been good. I ended up catching one undersized eye, two trout, one about four pounds, and a fifteen pound carp. Water temps 47 to 50 degrees. I fished from 11 to 4. Met a gentleman fishing from shore and he had caught a 23 lb cat. His only bite of the day. Showed me the pics and gave me a couple of really large shad he had gotten by helping with the walleye spawn that morning. Nice guy. He said they had taken eggs from about thirty ripe females that morning. Said there were quite a few seven to eight pound females in the nets.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was down there in my toon Neal. A lot of the river is like a big lake right now. So many new places to fish that it's hard to fish well. You could spend a week just in the river learning and looking for new spots and still not hit them all. I was able to run my toon up river a mile further than I'd ever been able to go before. the water was still two and a half feet deep and could have went further, but the current was getting tough and the fishing hadn't been good. I ended up catching one undersized eye, two trout, one about four pounds, and a fifteen pound carp. Water temps 47 to 50 degrees. I fished from 11 to 4. Met a gentleman fishing from shore and he had caught a 23 lb cat. His only bite of the day. Showed me the pics and gave me a couple of really large shad he had gotten by helping with the walleye spawn that morning. Nice guy. He said they had taken eggs from about thirty ripe females that morning. Said there were quite a few seven to eight pound females in the nets.
You are right about that upper end! I wasted half the day fishing up there but I couldn't help my self! Such a cool area to explore!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts