Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maiden voyage of my new pontoon today. Started out calm and I was able to move around pretty fast with the oars. Finally saw some fish on the fish finder on a point and landed a fat 20 inch walleye. Then came the wind. No problem. Just drop the anchor bag full of rocks and keep fishing. Anchor was as worthless as a... bag-o-rocks. Didn't even slow me down. When both hands are busy with the oars, you just can't fish. Fought my way back to the truck and will try another day. Water temps were 45-48 degrees at the transducer before the wind. Around 42.5 degrees when it was blowing. I try to catch fish with other flies, but the white meat whistle was the walleye's choice again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Small vessels in March is hardcore YFN. At least you managed something other than "The White Striped Black Cat". :thumb: I hope to get my yak out of the mothballs in a few days and give it a whirl myself.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I bet the wind put more bend in the rod than the logeyes, but you can eat the fish. Anything bigger than 20?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only caught the 1 fish. I was mostly getting the feel of the new toon and was rowing more than fishing. I've fished for around 24 years out of a belly boat and the pontoon was bought with walleyes and wipers in mind. Just knowing I can search faster for structure and fish on the lowrance is a plus. I've thought about getting a 'real' boat, but when I see the lines at the boat ramp I know sanity will be with me for a bit longer if I don't do it yet.
I actuall saw fish on the Lowrance where I caught that hen, and the wind pretty much kicked up immediately after I landed her. It was brutal trying to control the toon in that blow.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I only caught the 1 fish. I was mostly getting the feel of the new toon and was rowing more than fishing. I've fished for around 24 years out of a belly boat and the pontoon was bought with walleyes and wipers in mind. Just knowing I can search faster for structure and fish on the lowrance is a plus. I've thought about getting a 'real' boat, but when I see the lines at the boat ramp I know sanity will be with me for a bit longer if I don't do it yet.
I actuall saw fish on the Lowrance where I caught that hen, and the wind pretty much kicked up immediately after I landed her. It was brutal trying to control the toon in that blow.

Is that the usual size of a hen in pueblo? I've never fished it and was just wondering. I assume the lake holds big fish but is a 20" female the norm, with males being the pesky dinks? If that is the case, I dont understand why the dow doesn't do a slot limit on the spawn lakes in Colorado. Seems to me, if the legal limit is 18" to take a walleye home for dinner and the only fish over 18" are females, you are taking the wrong fish. I think heavily fished lakes near the city might benefit from a 17"-26" release rule. Keep the 15"ers for dinner and easily get your limit on a normal day. This will grow some hawg eye's while maintaining a solid population

·
Registered
239 Posts
Big wipers. Outside of saltwater they pack more fight than any species imo. That's what my uncle and I did there. But the boat came in handy when moving from cove to cove looking for feeding schools. Can you fish the dam these days or is there a no-go-line thanks to the 9/11 turds?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Catchnabuzz... There IS a slot limit at Pueblo. 5 fish limit 18 inches or bigger, only one of which can be bigger than 21 inches. I figure the DOW knows what they're doing as far as limits and such. 18-19-and 20 inch fish eat just fine...even the ones full of eggs. I know the DOW nets and milks fish for roe and milt to stock with. I don't know if they stock Pueblo or if the population is self sustaining. It seems to me the fishery is just fine. I always throw 'em back unless they're legal to keep, then I eat 'em. I would probably throw back a big one, but just because they probably don't taste as good....Slabseeker...Agree with you on the wipers...It's why I always fish for walleye with my 9 wt. Wipers eat the same stuff and I get 'em occasionally. Far as I know, the dam is legal fishin'. I've toured my belly boat along it and never was contacted for it. I've seen rangers and game wardens drive by while I was there.

·
Registered
585 Posts
If you like the white meat whistle, give an articulated goldie a shot. They work well for me on walleyes up north at Boyd and Horsetooth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts