Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We fished Pueblo Res form 2:00 PM until Dark. very windy until 6:00. It was Slow all day. We mainly fished the south side. I did have some excitement about three quarters of the way up the south shore. I marked a nice school of fish on a drop from 25 fow to 40 fow. I decided to try to slab to them with a three ounce rainbow pattern. On the first drift I hooked something big. I brought it within a few feet of the surface and it got off (another fishing story but, I have witnesses). It did't run when I hooked it but, was a lot of weight and good head shakes. It had my 7 1/2' trolling rod bent double. I am guessing it was a cat or walleye. I have never caught a stripper. I would assume a stripper would have put up a more energetic fight? I drifted the spot and had two more strong strikes and no hook ups. It does keep my blood flowing to at least hook a rod bender. I'll be back.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Have you tried a drift sock to slow the boat?
You might be able to use a lighter weight jig.
Less chance of the fish tossing it off. I'm still learning Pueblo. Just a late night idea.

I've watched a friend break two rods trying to keep big fish on.
He had his drag way to tight.
Pueblo is a zombie of a lake to fish. It keeps us coming back.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the drift sock is a great idea. This was my first trip in my new boat (25' pontoon) and it is like a sail in the wind. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts