Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't usually post unless I have something new to contribute, so here goes. All of these caught on the fly rod. After using my fast sink tip(9 ips.) and catching trees and bushes in the first part of the morning, I switched to a slower sink tip(3 ips.). Had some trouble locating the walleye until I finally stumbled on the correct retrieve. Did kind of a jerky fast retrieve that finally worked. All fish were in 11 to 13 or 14 feet of water and suspended roughly half way in the water column. I used a white meat whistle size 1/0. To my knowledge, I was the only one in the area to catch legal fish. There were some boats and those guys were jigging. They were catching lots of fish, but no keepers. I only landed 4 walleye, but only one was short. My smallest keeper was exactly 18 and the other two were just slightly longer. The wiper was in the same spot, with the same retrieve. Hooked into another wiper on the first cast after securing the first, but he threw the hook. Had a blast! Water temp was 66 at the start and 68 when I left around noon.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Well done! I have seen people kick everyone's butt in the area on the fly rod.

·
Registered
406 Posts
very cool report I have been chasing wiper on the fly for the last several weeks there hooked into one but got broke off going out again today.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Very cool!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was one of those boats fishing nearby. We pulled in to a spot about 200 feet away from Yearnin-for-Naknek. Since he was in a float tube and was fishing with a flyrod I was giving him plenty of space. He invited us to come over and fish a shallow flat surrounded by deeper water. All we did in return was share our measuring board with him. Just a very nice guy. My two kids and I wound up boating 26 eyes, 2 bass and 1 big sucker in about an hour and a half at that spot. Prior to that we'd only boated three eyes. At one point we had a triple...three rods with three eyes. All of our eyes were in the range of 16-18 inches and came on jig heads with leeches or crawlers. Nothing over 18. Nice day with the kids and some willing fish, and one other particularly nice angler on the lake.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Wow thats amazing...great job with the long rod!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yep, the fly rod has been ON down here lately!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Slayer...You need video? You need to do a Vulcan mind meld with me then. Been thinkin' about getting one of those go pros though. Hard to justify the cost.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Slayer...You need video? You need to do a Vulcan mind meld with me then. Been thinkin' about getting one of those go pros though. Hard to justify the cost.
its not hard to justify the cost. Get a hero 2 if you don't want to pay for the newest, most expensive version. Considering the quality of the footage and the different possibilities, they're pretty awesome IMO. Once you see that first person footage of you catching fish it'll be worth it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts