Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit Pueblo yesterday with Batman. Man, sure didn't feel like July...cold and drizzly early on. Water temps 68 to 70. The bite was tough in the morning. The shad have moved out into the main lake and the fish are changing locations. We checked out ten locations with just a few eyes and a couple of small bass to show for it until about 4pm when we finally found where the walleyes were stacked up. Over the next two hours, we caught 40 plus eyes with 6 over 18 inches. The last hour we switched to top water baits and picked up a dozen bass. None over 13 inches, but it was a blast watching them blow up on the baits. No wipers seen or caught. Next week, back to Spinney.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Good job! That place is fishing better now than I ever remember it! It used to be so hard to catch keepers down there:confused: Now you can once you find the fish! How deep were they?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The eyes are in great shape. Not skinny at all this year...broad shouldered and thick. Once we found them..spot locked and never had to move off the edge in 15 to 19 foot of water. As far as keepers, just depends upon the school of fish. Two weeks ago, I went twice and after catching close to 200 fish on those trips...only had five keepers to show for it. Yesterday, even the ones that weren't keepers were very close to the mark.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Way to go! Only fished Pueblo once in the belly boat about 10 years ago, was a fun day though. Are the camp grounds pretty decent there? I think we'd like to spend a few days whenever we go back.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Thanks for the report. I know what you mean about the weather, I was out Thursday night and it felt much more like fall trout fishin than warm water in july. I had two light coats with me and wore em both.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts