Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely had my way with them this AM in the rain. I caught spots and smallies and one largemouth, lots of dinks but also one spot and two smallies right at 15" and quite a few respectable ones. They came on a senko and smallie beavers (a soft plastic creature type bait) and also a few on a spinnerbait. It was just great fishing in the rain-when its fully overcast or better yet raining, call in sick and fish this lake. Its far better under those conditions IMHO. Rained til about 8:30 then it started clearing and the bite got tougher but I still managed about a dozen more then left right after noon. With the wet weather their weren't many boats out and the winds stayed nice and light. Water temp was 75-76. Ed

·
Registered
943 Posts
THE RAIN ALSO KEEPS IT COOL AND MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE. GLAD TO HEAR YOU GOT INTO THEM

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ed,

In years past I had similar success witht the smallies. I've held back from travelling to Pueblo primarily because of the negative reports I've been reading regarding low water levels and its impact on fishing. Ongoing road construction southbound on I-25 and longer travel delays helped to break the camels back. I remember having days where I catch 50 or more smallies on a given weekend and bonus walleyes prior to the drought. It sounds like the lake may be on an up swing. Outside Aurore Res here in the Denver area, Pueblo was my goto lake.

How often do you fish it, and do you feel you're seening improvement?

Pete

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pete-I fish Pueblo about once a week-more in the spring and fall than I do in the summer because it gets so hot. Been doing it since in opened in '78 or '79 I think. I remember the glory days at Pueblo when it first filled and you could catch 100 bass a day on just about anything.

Pueblo has always been a great numbers lake for me and I usually catch 20-30 in a morning but good size can be hard to come by. I'd say on average only one bass out of 10-15 measures 15". I've had plenty of days where the biggest ones I catch are only 12-13". They need IMHO a slot where you can remove some smaller fish. Theres so many smallmouth in this lake I think they're stunted. I don't really know how the walleye fishing has been this year-don't fish for them. In the past few years most guys I talk to seem to be getting lots of fish and a few over 18".

I've always liked Pueblo. Its a fun lake to fish. I'm so used to the low water it took some time to adjust to the higher level this spring. ;D Ed

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fished from the north marina down to the dam and some on the other side-the north marina cove gets a lot of pressure from shore anglers so I don't fish it much. Ed

·
Registered
405 Posts
Agreed, summer time can be an inferno at Pueblo. I think you may be right on the slot limit, there are way too many small smallmouths in this lake. I've only caught a few largemouth bass at Pueblo; any idea why there is such a disparity between the two?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pepe-With the low water the past 3-4 years the largemouth haven't had the cover to spawn in-same thing with the crappie and their numbers are way down too. If Pueblo ever gets back up to full pool theres a lot of new brush that will be submerged and the largemouth numbers will come back strong. But it ain't gonna happen with the lake 40-45 ft. low. Ed

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You want numbers....I got numbers. ;D At full pool, Pueblo is 4880.49 ft. It currently is 4840 or about 41 ft. low. Last year at this same time Pueblo was 4834. Which means it was 47 ft. low or 6 ft. lower than this year. These are the latest Bureau of Reclamation numbers. So its up, but not by much. We're gonna need 2 or 3 wet winters to get this lake back up to full pool.

Like I said before, I been fishing this lake 40-50 ft. low for so long I got used to it. Still I miss all those coves that used to go waaaay back. Plus with more water theres alot more room to get away from the jetskiers and what not. Ed

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Ed,

when it gets refilled you will have to learn all over how to fish it! But all the brush growning on the bottom will be great habitat for spawning and hiding fish. A couple of years after its been flooded again the fishing will be unbelievable!

Dan

·
Registered
405 Posts
Great point Dan. With all that new cover being submerged and the abundant plant and insect insect life the lake would go into high gear... just hope I'm still alive to see it a full pool.

Thanks for the follow-up up Ed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts