Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started at 6:30 AM from the old DOW ramp, hooked and lost a Carp on a Frenzy then it got slow.
Hooked a Walleye near Mid island, tried to catch another in the area with cranks, tubes, plastic stuff without a touch.
Went looking for the Trout and Crappie I caught on the 19th without any luck. Ended up catching three undersize Walleye. Last one was trolling a big Kastmaster getting the line twist out of my jigging rod.
Lots of slimy Algae 10 feet and under.
Past three trips my baitcaster with 12lb Mono has not had a touch. I'm wondering if the Pueblo fish are getting smarter?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
take tail water fishing for large trophy trout for example, Most of the time to be successful a angler has to take a technical approach, using thin tippet as thin as 7x which is equal to about 2lb test. Life like and natural imitations in size 22 and even as small as 24 are often used to trick fish that just wont take anything else. So we know they can see and can get conditioned to recognize when the prey is the real thing or not.
I think an angler has to assume the bigger older educated fish in a reservoir are going to do the same thing. Life like imitations on the lightest line as possible is only going to help your cause, especially in clear water and if you are fishing above 15'. Bigger fish can be caught on spoons and kasties and such wich are not life like, but in the right light conditions and water clarity, the movement and flash is all it takes.
IMO, Unless your talking pike leaders, cat leaders, carp leader etc.. anything above 12 pound test is to thick of mono for Colorado. 6 and 8 are going to get more hits when it comes to big walleye, macs and trout. I settle for 10lb at the thickest for ice fishing.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
take tail water fishing for large trophy trout for example, Most of the time to be successful a angler has to take a technical approach, using thin tippet as thin as 7x which is equal to about 2lb test. Life like and natural imitations in size 22 and even as small as 24 are often used to trick fish that just wont take anything else. So we know they can see and can get conditioned to recognize when the prey is the real thing or not.
I think an angler has to assume the bigger older educated fish in a reservoir are going to do the same thing. Life like imitations on the lightest line as possible is only going to help your cause, especially in clear water and if you are fishing above 15'. Bigger fish can be caught on spoons and kasties and such wich are not life like, but in the right light conditions and water clarity, the movement and flash is all it takes.
IMO, Unless your talking pike leaders, cat leaders, carp leader etc.. anything above 12 pound test is to thick of mono for Colorado. 6 and 8 are going to get more hits when it comes to big walleye, macs and trout. I settle for 10lb at the thickest for ice fishing.
Good advice! Big fish get big for a reason and it is not from being stupid. I am always amazed at how big fish are elusive most of the time with the exception of certain times of year when conditions bring them shallow and make them vulnerable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts