Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would any one believe me if I told you Pueblo has cats over 100 pounds. One of my friends who is a civil engineer for the city of Pueblo works on that lake. They have several cameras at the bottom of the dam recording every second for strange things: mainly dead bodys that may appear. He tells me that every once in a while they'll see big big catfish swim by. When he first started monitoring them cameras it really spooked him because they would pass camera to camera. Not knowing what it was he had asked and sure enough they were huge cats crusing the bottom. Did'nt know fish could live that deep down (130 + feet) with such low O2 but I guesse they are cats after all. They say there's around a hundred or so in there. Who am I to argue with a non-BS type of guy.

Also heard that one experience diver had dived down towards the marina side and had happen the swim pass this rock on the bottom. Well you know the story. The big rock started to swim away from him. As he turned in fear it was a huge catfish that was bigger than he was. That diver never went down again. He swears to it that it was that big. Now if I would of heard this story before my engineering buddy told me about his many camera incidents, I would of never believed him. But I kinda have to now.......Ripleys Believe it or Not..........More like...... Pueblos Believe it or Not..........
I believe, do you?

Now question is how do you catch them? I'm thinking of using dead 10lb carps or whole Tyson Chickens on the dam. Any suggestions

F

·
0 Posts
hahahahaha....try to get permission to use 12lb channel cats for bait

·
Registered
943 Posts
there is that rumor on every deep lake that has catfish in it.

F

·
0 Posts
does pueblo have blues or flatheads .....if so I might believe it but 100lb channels ...no way

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know if they have flats. I know they have blues though. Sounds to out of this world to believe I know. Thought I should share it is all.

???? If they are'nt that big then what are they ???????? What keeps swimming past the cameras ????? Any idea ????

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Pueblo has flatheads but they were just put in-'02 I think.  The state record (from Pueblo) is like 10 lbs-they will of course get much bigger over time.

As far as the story about 100 lb. channels-urban legend.  Kind of like the stories you would tell around the campfire to try to scare each other.

F

·
0 Posts
obviously blues can reach over 100lbs ...maybe thats what they are seeing

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i wouldnt doubt channels could go 100#'s pluss and pueblo has the forage bass to support it can you imagine the tackle you would need to land one of them i wouldnt be surprized if folks that thought they were hung on the bottom were sometimes tied into something huge

back in san diego when i was growing up there wers some sand pitts that every one said had them giant cats and i asked this old guy fishing there about them and he told me that none had ever been landed so i asked him what they at thinking i was gonna catch one and he said they eat what ever they want!

i imagine that some of the biggest deep cats in pueblo would feed/gorge them selve on dead shad when the water cools enough for hte shad to start dieing so i might try rigging some whole big dead shad down deep and hope for the best the cool thing is when your fishing with 15" dead shad you might not get many bites but anything that eats 15" shad will certainly put a bend in your rod!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
FG-I may be wrong about this but Pueblo doesn't have blues.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
world record is 58 caught back in the sixties so 100 is not impossible just not likely as the 58 pounder is only the largest caught on rod and reel there could be larger ones out there many state have state record chanells aproaching 50 pounds

other things they "could" be are gar, or even stergeon illegaly dumped from aquariums

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
pueblo may have never been officaly stocked with blues but if they had been put in another way the lake would be suitable for them

F

·
0 Posts
could a gar survive a colorado winter...not like we've had one in a while but

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
State record for flathead is only 2 lbs 9 oz from Pueblo-that obviously won't last.  State record for flathead was 20 lbs 1 oz-set in 1976.  Don't think they are stocked anymore.

We need to keep in mind that underwater cameras can really play tricks on  you-hard to gauge size.  And fish look bigger in the water than out of it.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I've fished some lakes in north central Texas that have gar-water temps there gets down to upper 30"s most winters and they do occasionally freeze up so.......... I think a gar would survive here.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
even in a cold winter i dont think pueblo freezes over all the way not shure what they can handle

think about the shad they die off round the 30's but enough survive to repopulate the next spring even on lakes that freeze hard. you never know?

kirbydog said:
State record for flathead is only 2 lbs 9 oz from Pueblo-that obviously won't last. State record for flathead was 20 lbs 1 oz-set in 1976. Don't think they are stocked anymore.

We need to keep in mind that underwater cameras can really play tricks on you-hard to gauge size. And fish look bigger in the water than out of it.
did i miss something is the state record for flat head 2/9 or 20/1?

ive seen the 2/9 on sites for the co state record but i heard someware that a 10/something had been landed this year so may be sites arnt up to date?

i saw that dow stocked flatheads recently in pueblo and thay said that was the first offical stockingalong with a few other lakes just dont remember which

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Ask the civil engineer if their system is able to record the video from their cameras, and if he can get you a copy. There are several guys on here (including me) who can convert the video to a web-readable copy.

I am sure we would all like to see it.

Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Yeah I dont believe it, a couple things. Channel cats dont get the big. Blues were not stocked in Pueblo. Flatheads havent been in Pueblo long enough to get that big. 130ft down is REALLY REALLY REALLY dark, if the cameras are down there they have to use IR. The cameras would have had to be there a long time making the night vision pretty old. All this makes things look alot bigger, camera depth perception isnt great. So a 20-30lb cat down that low swimming close to the camera would look huge. I'd have to see it.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tell me about it. I would love to see it. Never questioned him about it. Maybe he's full of it. Who knows. But next time I'm there I'll bring a whole Tyson chicken.

That lake does'nt freeze over, from what the locals say it's a year round fishery.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
fishinguitars said:
could a gar survive a colorado winter...not like we've had one in a while but
I have seen gars survive much harder winters than colorado ever gets. But the only gar that gets over 100 lb. is the alligator gar and those only live in the extreme south. Other gars (longnose gar, shortnose gar, spotted gar) run much smaller.

Here's an alligator gar, photo picked off the web:

Not quite as pretty as a brook trout, hey?

W. E.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts