Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
My Great-grandpa grew up in Nebraska in the '30's and 40's and I have seen photographic evidence of giant cats. BUT no channel cats I saw went over 50, no flatheads went over 80, and no blues went over 80. In my opinion until I see a 60 channel cat caught and certified I will not believe that a cahnnel cat can reach 100 lbs. This is not the 30's and 40's anymore. AS for blue cats, if they were stocked 36 years ago it would be possible for a blue cat to reach 100 lbs because that is how long it takes for them to reach that size. So I would ask the DOW if they stocked Pueblo 36 years ago with blue cats. But largely, unless the video equipment is high tech, and I mean HIGH TECH, you are not going to get very good pictures from that depth. Oh, and one other reason there are no 100 lb channel cats in there:

I HAVEN"T CAUGHT ONE!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOL :eek:

C

·
0 Posts
I have fished for BIG flatheads (my biggest is 49 lbs) And I used a two pound carp for bait on him. So I don't think 15" shad are gonna cut it for 100 blues UNLESS it is alive!

F

·
0 Posts
how great is it that there is other guys that are as interested in talking about fishing as I am ...not a topic breaker but this is great......I just dont think that we have a growing season to produce a blue that big ......Channels dont get that big from what I know ...and flatheads havent been there long enough ...but it makes for a great story and im sure some younger fisherman are really enjoying the thought of 100lb catfish being in waters close to them

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
WE-I hope that guy holding the gar is wearing a cup. ;D

C

·
0 Posts
We have bearly half the growing season needed to grow big cats. What we call big here they frown upon in South Carolina and Texas. I have a friend who works for the DOW and I am interested to see if they stocked blues in Pueblo around 36 years ago. If not and no one can catches one of those big boys then..........

I'M GOING BACK TO BIG THOMPSON PONDS FOR THOSE MONSTERS! LOL ;D

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
My post should read-flathead record is 2 lb. 9 oz. and bluecatfish is 20 lb. 1 oz. That flathead record is a bit of a joke-I imagine alot of flats are caught bigger than that and the guy thinks its just a channel with a deformed jaw. ;D

Somebody should go down to Pueblo and target them (they much prefer live baitfish, not dead ones) and get their name in the record book.

C

·
0 Posts
You know, I have gone after those flats very hard, for where I live. I live south of Greeley, and drive down once a week for two days of straight fishing. Then I drive back. I have caught hundreds of channels over 3 lbs over the last five years and have never caught a flathead nor ever seen one caught. I never even heard of them being in there until this "state record" (that small? Shouldn't there be a minimum?) came about. So this poses a question. Does this mean the DOW just recently stocked them? They do grow faster than blues and channels. This is what I think: Someone brought some flathead fry into the state and put them in Pueblo. That's what I think!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
couple of things

130' down is deep but not that dark i have dove well beyond that depth many times in water no clearer then what you find at pueblo and while there is virtualy no color you can see quite well i have even been that deep at night with a full moon and while creepy you can see well enough to get around with out a light

under water cameras are usualy wide angle and that along with the air water change at the lense could easily distort a fishes appearant size

while a 15" shad might not be on the menu normally fish do addapt and with the plethora of dead shad any large fish might learn to take advantage of that food source

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
fishinguitars said:
could a gar survive a colorado winter...not like we've had one in a while but

Not quite as pretty as a brook trout, hey?

W. E.
who the fish or the guy holding it?

i forgot to ask any other qualified divers out there id be up for some dives in pueblo to confirm or deny the size of them cats and i got the under water camera for it. any takers?

i think it is legit to dive pueblo right?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
roadkill said:
who the fish or the guy holding it?
Well, I don't know who the fish is, or the guy holding it, either, but I stole the photo from
http://www.garfishing.com/
the web site for the Gar Anglers Sporting Society (yes there really is such a thing).

Used to catch a lot of long nosed gar as a kid, they are fun to catch and hard to hook because their mouth is so bony and full of teeth.

I even cooked and ate one once.... tasted sort of like snake....

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i ment witch one wasnt as pretty as a brookie, aint niether one of them ready to win a beauty contest...lol

C

·
0 Posts
I'll go with you Roadkill! You do the diving and take the pictures, I'll tie the 200lb test fishing string around your waist and lower you in while I drink the beer! LOL No, but seriously, if I was scuba certfied I would go with you in a heart beat!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
diving at 130 in a cold a$$ res aint for beginers you need some time under you belt i used to make 200 dives a year with a good 1/3 of those below 100' deep and cold can narc you bad if your not ready for it

C

·
0 Posts
Well! For your information I am over 200 lbs so my fat a$$ is insulated! LOL I know, I know. I couldn't do it, but if I could I think it would be fun!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
dam you skiny guys! of course you could do it just get your training and do a bunch of diving till you get so used to being under water nothing phases you and youll be ready to face the cats up close and personal like and here you dont have to "worry" bout sharks

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
thats a nice cat anyware

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Honetly the biggest cat I've seen out of there was around 25 lbs. Blues head was bigger than mines. It was caught on 8 lb test 5 1/2 ft Ugly Stick using crayfish by the south east beach. Any how maybe one of these years someone will catch cats over 100lbs from there. That lake definitely has the potential for big fish. I've mark some really big fish in there in the past, wonder what they were. Maybe 50lb carps. ???

21 - 40 of 49 Posts