Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
How did dkooser & Jay_in_Parker do at Pueblo

I'm hoping they are doing better than I have out at Chatfield.

You guys were supposed to go in September. Just curious.

M

·
0 Posts
I am going to head down in a week or two and use the "Secret Technique" or as I like to call it "The Kooser Method" -- not to be confused with the rhythm method -- which will just result in another kid.

D

·
0 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
He's booked up in Sept. We may go in Oct.

[me=Jay_In_Parker]  [/me]
Sorry Jay - with 3 kids and all their sports, two job holders, and the volunteer work I do plus tournaments and hunting I need to keep a calendar and almost every weekend is full for the next 45+ days.  I will put October 16th (which is currently open) on the calendar and hope you can work that into your schedule.  If not, maybe we can hit Pueblo over the winter cause it never freezes over.  Plus I never winterize my boat and use it all year down on Pueblo.

After the first week of November the trout action really heats up down there and some are decent sized. Heck - mauser calls me the best trout catching walleye/bass fisherman he's ever met.

M

·
0 Posts
Heck dkooser could throw on a 3/0 hook with a piece of dead carp and catch a trout

·
Registered
280 Posts
I don't think you guys are missing out on much at Pueblo. Still haven't seen any of the huge shad fry schools and its already a month late. Which is really what turn the wiper into eating machines. Either this year the hatch is really late or it could be a down cycle year. Either way haven't hooked a wiper in a couple months or recall hearing about any coming out. This year as a whole hasn't been half as productive as the past couple.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Oats-There are shad fry schools all over the lake-big balls of them along every shoreline.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've seen some shad but the ones I've seen are a year old not this years hatch. I think Pueblo is also turning over so that doesn't help, a lot of the coves look like pea soup. If the shad are out they won't be much longer than an inch.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
mauser said:
I am going to head down in a week or two and use the "Secret Technique" or as I like to call it "The Kooser Method" -- not to be confused with the rhythm method -- which will just result in another kid.
both methods are productive

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Oats-The green pea soup thing you're seeing in the upper 1/2 is an algae bloom, not a turnover. Turnover, if it happens at all, will happen when the lake temp is 60-65.

And there are too many newly hatched shad in balls to count-they are this years crop.

I was just on the lake on Thur.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
whats the lake temp at now? surface temp that is

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well if there are any new shad I still haven't seen any wiper activity or boils and the young shad are what make that happen. Sorry I still think the shad you are seeing are a year old. When the hatch does happen the schools  can be hundreds of yards long not the small pods that out now. And all that green stuff is what most people consider turnover and I've seen enough floating moss in it to justify it. Have you seen any wiper boiling?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
them wioers will boil on any size shad they can fit in there mouths i remember a post this spring in wich the guys where on some wiper boils at pueblo and did get much fishing with like 4" shinners i think then they noticed some stunned shad on the surface and they were a lot bigger than the baits they had been throwing

·
Registered
280 Posts
Even 3 pound wipers sometimes have 5 or 6" shad in there belly's but to start a fall surface frenzy it usually takes the huge numbers of a new hatch. Undoubtably they will feed on whatever size shad they can find, but the bigger older smarter shad don't stick around the surface very long when a pac of wipers are on the chase.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
sometimes the wipers will push them to the surface it makes them easyer to catch it is the same with many soeices of bait and gamefish if they can herd them to the surface they have one less avenue to escape

C

·
0 Posts
I haven't caught any wiper down there this year. But I have seen the shad schools. They came by the bank I was set up on while catfishing one night. You can't miss that kind of movement even in the dark.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts