Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
I don't think you guys are missing out on much at Pueblo. Still haven't seen any of the huge shad fry schools and its already a month late. Which is really what turn the wiper into eating machines. Either this year the hatch is really late or it could be a down cycle year. Either way haven't hooked a wiper in a couple months or recall hearing about any coming out. This year as a whole hasn't been half as productive as the past couple.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've seen some shad but the ones I've seen are a year old not this years hatch. I think Pueblo is also turning over so that doesn't help, a lot of the coves look like pea soup. If the shad are out they won't be much longer than an inch.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well if there are any new shad I still haven't seen any wiper activity or boils and the young shad are what make that happen. Sorry I still think the shad you are seeing are a year old. When the hatch does happen the schools  can be hundreds of yards long not the small pods that out now. And all that green stuff is what most people consider turnover and I've seen enough floating moss in it to justify it. Have you seen any wiper boiling?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Even 3 pound wipers sometimes have 5 or 6" shad in there belly's but to start a fall surface frenzy it usually takes the huge numbers of a new hatch. Undoubtably they will feed on whatever size shad they can find, but the bigger older smarter shad don't stick around the surface very long when a pac of wipers are on the chase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts