Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started out today trolling and caught a couple of eye's and some smallmouth out suspended with the shad. After a while I decided to break out the slabbing rods. While I didn't catch any keepers I caught over 20 on spoons and some bonus perch and smallmouth. It was fun to just go out and have almost non stop action all day. I must of lost another dozen???

Fish are anywhere from 25 to 45 feet deep right now, or suspended up amongst several trillion shad, lol.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
The shad seem small to me for this time of year-seeing a lot that aren't even 1" yet.

Maybe they are from a late spawn-I have been told they spawn several times over the course of the spring/summer.

Had to put on a sweatshirt for the first couple of hours on the lake today-haven't had to do that in a long time.
Water temp was 70-72, it won't be long.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The shad seem small to me for this time of year-seeing a lot that aren't even 1" yet.

Maybe they are from a late spawn-I have been told they spawn several times over the course of the spring/summer.

Had to put on a sweatshirt for the first couple of hours on the lake today-haven't had to do that in a long time.
Water temp was 70-72, it won't be long.
I saw that yesterday also. Thousands of dead less than 1' shad. Must be from the last hatch?

I was catching Perch yesterday also. Which is a first for me there! I am going to fish a different area tomorrow. I found several huge schools in deeper water right before I pulled off yesterday.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Had the same kind of action yesterday at Chatfield. It was mostly smallies up to 15" attacking the shad but I also got into perch, bluegills/sunfish, trout and very small (< 8") walleyes. I'd fished deeper water earlier in the day and had no luck but moved into the 10' depths from 6 - 8 pm and fished to the boils using a jigging retrieve with metal. Would hook and lose multiple fish on the same retrieve and often had a fish on immediately before I could even jig once. Probably landed 15+ in those 2 hours and had multitudes of missed and lost fish. Lots of shad being puked up by the participants. I was almost surprised by the small fish (perch, sunfish and walleyes) that were gorging on the shad buffet as they were small enough to become entrees themselves. I'll have a fly rod and some small clousers or large crazy charlies with me the next time I go back.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
I was out for 3 1/2 hours today before the heat drove me in, tons of fish 0n the finder, a few biters trolling but no luck jigging today. my friend went back out after he dropped me at the ramp and he was having fun playing with the smallies in the n.marina when I left. when the wind dropped the trolling bite stopped. at first it was 7-8 colors of leadcore and a flicker shad at 3.1 mph going with the wind for the smb and 2.9 into the wind for the eyes over 27 feet of water

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was out for 3 1/2 hours today before the heat drove me in, tons of fish 0n the finder, a few biters trolling but no luck jigging today. my friend went back out after he dropped me at the ramp and he was having fun playing with the smallies in the n.marina when I left. when the wind dropped the trolling bite stopped. at first it was 7-8 colors of leadcore and a flicker shad at 3.1 mph going with the wind for the smb and 2.9 into the wind for the eyes over 27 feet of water
I am headed down there right now. Call me if you are out there?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Has anybody thrown a float and fly for these suspended fish? Seems like an f and f would be perfect for targeting those smallies suspended under schools of shad.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Great to see Pueblo is producing perch. I have caught several in years past. The hot action starts in October for walleye starts in October. As well as the crappie. The high water has done a "rebirth" on our front range lakes and we should fell blessed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts