Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I only had three hours to fish today, so I started out in the north marina. We couldn't get anything to chase a spoon in there, fishing on the big rock point next to the tires, so we headed out toward shiprock. I was fishing a 3/8 ounce kastmaster and my buddy was throwing a 3/4 ounce strata spoon.
I pulled this nice spot after about 30 minutes, and my partner pulled a nice 'eye. We were fishing over 44 feet of water and marking fish pretty regularly. We missed 10 fish between us - bites were ultra light. Water temp is 38 in the main lake, with ice in the coves.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
All you southerners down in Pueblo just make me sick ;D ;D ;D Boat fishing all year long... thats just not right... You really need to get a life! ;D

Nice fish though, even though it looks like it did come from open water.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
C'mon Talo, living down here in the banana belt is great! I dust the boat off, kick the coconuts out of the driveway, and away I go! BTW, that fish did come from open water - deep, with a flat bottom.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Hey fishhunter you ever go after those guys at pueblo with your fly rod? I have been reading about it and it sounds like pueblo is the place to go.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The new state record for spotted bass is 4.7 7/8. I caught it back in September of 05. It measured 17.75 in long and a 16.5 girth. I'm sure that rcord will stand for a while

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
mike hardin said:
The new state record for spotted bass is 4.7 7/8. I caught it back in September of 05. It measured 17.75 in long and a 16.5 girth. I'm sure that rcord will stand for a while
Congradulations.... but with them opening Valco up this year, dont you think there is another one in there still?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
fishhunter is the man!!!! What a winter bass!! You should really enter that pic for the photo contest. I am seriously diggin the photographer's well done job.

NICE!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone! That spot would have gone about 2 lbs. I've seen bigger spots on beds at Pueblo - some that would have taken the state record - and Valco is sure to give up a big one this year.

Hatchmaster - You should try fishing a clouser minnow in white/blue or chartreuse marabou around the beds in the spring! On a 6 wt rod even the little smallies will give you a huge run, plus there's always the possibility of hooking into a big wiper, which is an absolute BLAST! C'mon April!!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Ahh so you've heard of my sandwiches. :) :)

Just kidding. Seriously though you let me know a time and place when April comes around and I'm there. Thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm always up for time on the water ;D
The wiper's should start turning on in the upper lake next month. They go through a false spawn up there and you have to sight fish for them - which ain't easy considering that the water's usually pretty dark - but if you can get onto one, chances are it'll be a dandy!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts