Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spooned up 5 walleye-1 decent one, the rest were short. All on a 1/2 oz. chrome kastmaster in 35-65 ft. I don't like to spoon as deep as they were today but they all swam back down after I released them. Beautiful day to be out on the lake-cold in the early AM but warmed up to 60 degrees by noon with almost no wind. Water temp was 37-38 and there is less ice in the backs of the coves and theres open water further west.

Alot of boats out on the lake and alot of guys fishing from the shore down by the dam. Lake seems to be up a couple of ft. over last week.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Kirby

Did you really catch these two months from now?

And will there be leaves on the trees by then since Pueblo is warmer?!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Kirbydog- I was there also fishing the north side. I was in the 16 foot red lowe. You were telling me how you caught a couple walleye spooning, then I watched you miss one a little later. We caught a couple of rainbows on jigs with nightcrawlers. The weather sure was perfect.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I never tried Spooning that lake. You two have convinced me to take the day off tommorrow.
Was wondering if anyone ever tried a Dodger and lead core line for the deep fish? Thought I'd canoe troll a small spoon behind a small flasher/dodger.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Earplug---I love trolling, but after being on the lake I just can't see any fish chasing anything for long distances. I know people catch fish trolling there even in winter, but I think jigging and spooning are very effective. Thats not to say trolling will not work. Stay on the north side, the sun heats that side the fastest and longest. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Hey kirby, wasn't you that said you are seeing smallies suspended down there right now?

I was reading an article on the Yamamoto website a while back where they were fishing 4" Senko's rigged on a 1/8 oz jighead. It was winter and they were letting the Senko slowly drop thru the schools. There is also an article in the January In-Fisherman that mentions suspended smallies in winter and using Senko's on the drop. Might work?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
My trolling is not working today. 30th.
Have to try the jiging again.
Ever try Tube jigs in the winter?
During the warm months A white tube is my go to lure for Walleye.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Neal\-I've often thought about dropping a senko down thru the suspended schools-just to see what they are. On my electronics, I've often guessed that those larger symbols could be a group of shad bunched up together and showing up as one bigger fish on the screen. The fish seemed to be much more grouped up in definite areas-not scattered out along the bottom like last week. and generally deeper than before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts