Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have not posted a report in a while so hear it goes..

My friend Kevin and I headed to Pueblo last Saturday for our first open water trip of the season. Great day on the water with 7 Walleye, 3 legal Eyes at 18", and 1 real nice Smallmouth, at 17.5", which all fell to deep water spoon jigging technics. All fish were caught between 40 and 50 fow. Water temp was 39.7 degrees, and the water levels are full. The south marina boat ramp is currently closed. North Marinia is in good shape with excellent launching conditions.

We launched at around 9:30 this morning and spent some time getting aquatinted with my new Lowrance Electronics, calibrating new devices, and learning a few things on the way.

Kev and I managed to get about 3 hours of fishing in before heavy winds of 40 MPH started kicking in at about 1:30. We started back to the North Marina straight into 3 to 4 footers and finally pulled out at 3:00 p.m.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Nice work team WE!...wow from calm to 4 footers...good thing Kev could hide behind the windshield!...at least he stayed dry!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
You did good!! Seems like the fish are moving shallower.

Talked to the park ranger there today-they have asked the feds to start letting some water out before 3/15 .The
lake has gained almost 3 ft since Feb 1 and at the rate it is climbing he said there is a distinct possibility the north ramp will have to close for a time if the feds don't change their mind.

Makes absolutely no sense to me but the gov't works in mysterious ways.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You did good!! Seems like the fish are moving shallower.

Talked to the park ranger there today-they have asked the feds to start letting some water out before 3/15 .The
lake has gained almost 3 ft since Feb 1 and at the rate it is climbing he said there is a distinct possibility the north ramp will have to close for a time if the feds don't change their mind.

Makes absolutely no sense to me but the gov't works in mysterious ways.
That seems pretty crazy. I've fished Pueblo for 30 years and don't remember a time when they ever closed the north ramp due to high water..

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice work team WE!...wow from calm to 4 footers...good thing Kev could hide behind the windshield!...at least he stayed dry!
Kev had his back to on coming calamity. Thank god for GoreTex!!! The Lund took on quite a bit of water..Bilge pump gotta a workout for sure..

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sure am itching to get back in to the walleyes. I was out yesterday (15th) and the wind pretty much drove me off the lake. It's hard to control a belly boat sometimes. I probably should quit trying until I get a replacement fish finder, but I aint getting one soon and am darn sure not going to quit. One of my spots would have been perfect in yesterday's wind, but it was still froze over.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I've fished the lake for 30 yrs also and don't remember it ever closing either-but the ranger seemed to know what he was talking about. Doubt he would just make up a rumor.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was a lot of debris out there Saturday. Could get worse with higher water, or melting ice on the west end. We never went any further west than the North Shore.

Gonna head back down on Saturday..

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you link a Gen 2 with a Gen1?
Yes I did. Works great. I can even view Structure Scan on my HDS5 Gen 1.

The shared info is great also. I can input GPS info on on 1 unit and view on both. Although I'm new to this networking, learning this technology is way cool!!

Price reductions on Gen 2 units is good right now. That's the only way I can afford it. I may be looking at HDS9 Touch soon as well.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Yes I did. Works great. I can even view Structure Scan on my HDS5 Gen 1.

The shared info is great also. I can input GPS info on on 1 unit and view on both. Although I'm new to this networking, learning this technology is way cool!!

Price reductions on Gen 2 units is good right now. That's the only way I can afford it. I may be looking at HDS9 Touch soon as well.
Thanks, I wasn't aware they were compatible. That's great news for me!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts