Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I haven't made a post lately - had company in town to fish and golf... and did we fish. We golfed when the fishing slowed.. had a blast. My buddies came in from California and Washington State just to fish the wipers. Pueblo Res was gr8 - the wiper action was slow to begin with so we bottom bounced worm crawlers east of mid lake island towards denver cove and picked up 6 keeper eyes on 5/12 -  5/13 and 5/14  was a bit slow but we picked up some trout and the occasional wiper and eyes.  The the wipers really started some surface action around mid lake island and down the the cliffs off mid lake point on 5/15. It was frustrating at times as the wipers were chasing shad up all around us yet they were just a bit picky on presentation.. we fished mirrolure top dogs, top dog jrs and top pups, zarra pups, pop-r's, bomber speed shad, zoom fluke jrs,  and live shad and finally had to slow the presentation way down to get them to take a lure.... we finally got them on top dogs, top dog jrs and top pups and bomber speed shad. We even caught some nice trout on speed shad and live shad... were'nt even trying.. the trout were very healthy cutbows and rainbows all just over 2lbs. The wipers ranged from 5 to 7 lbs - the walleye from 18'' to 22''.  again, what a blast. Will be there 5/20 on the first aniversary of my 13lb 11oz wiper.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
getting warm for sure.. supposed to be in the 90's the next few days. Water temps are in the mid 60's though... just right for fishin.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if you cut the bloodline out in preparation they are real good eating. They fight even better. Let most of what we caught go back for another day. I like it fresh don't you know.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes they can taste that good Wiper/Stiper/White Bass are some of my favorite fish to eat though the one downside is that I wouldnt reccomend freezing them more then about 4 months. We found that out at lake Powell

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Nice fish walt. After Ken and I finish doing our Walleye class at the Colorado Springs Sportsmans tomorrow, I plan on heading to P-low for some casting and cranking. The Denver Cove area always holds lots of bait for some reason, I am thinking of starting there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welps - had a report they showed up again along mid lake point 5/19 around 7am but were again very picky - this am 5/20 I saw them surface here and there but nothing like earlier in the week. I think I read or heard that Dow was shocking shad to move some to other impoundments... so I'll blame them...hehe - couldn't be my skills or my timing... hehe

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
nice catch! I cut my teeth fishing there as a kid...Good to see it can still produce some thrills!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts