Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fished saturday trolled the dam and around ship wreck nothing north marina cove showed a lot of fish stacked on bait fish but still no bites, must still be to cold dang it

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I fished the West end around the island and Denver cove.
Had three bites/hits but nothing to show for it.
Fish are starting to hang out in the shallow/warmer water.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hey,

I was down there at Pueblo on Saturday, too. Got there at about 07:00 and marked a lot of fish in the North boat ramp area. Decided to troll Rapalas around the “Ship Rock”. The saddle at Ship Rock is now submerged (at/near the middle of the saddle) by about 5 to 6 feet of water. Tried casting shadraps up into the shallows and bringing it back … nothing. I tried slabbing without tipping and tipped with a minnow … Nothing.

Tried bottom bounding crawlers, minnows, shrimp … nothing. Tried banking the boat and fishing crawlers and minnows both on bobbers and on bottom in the cove behind “Ship Rock”. Had one little hit on crawler … just left teeth marks.

Went up towards the inlet to see if I could muster up a trout. Tried salmon eggs, power bait, crawlers, and fly & bubble … Nothing.

I saw several guys in what look liked Lunds and Trackers … zipping all over the place … it didn’t look like they were doing much better than I was. I saw a guy in a yellow and white fiberglass boat jigging around “Ship Rock” I wonder if it was one of you guys.

At about 15:30 I was down by the dam and the nets were not up on the North end … so I trolled it with a Rapala. I was about half way down the dam face when the “net setters” started dragging the nets out behind me. They were laying them at warp-speed and almost ran over my lure … so I pulled up and left. Then the wind came up out of the East-South East (maybe 25 mph).

Do any of you know what the reg’s are for fishing around the nets down at Pueblo? At Chatfield you have to stay at least 100 ft (33 yards). off the dam face. Is Pueblo the same?

Anyway, nice day despite the SKUNK.

I left for Denver at about 17:00 to try to beat the storm … it almost worked.

From the sounds of it, I should have gone to Brush Hollow and fished from shore.

Mac

·
Registered
769 Posts
Pueblo has the same reg regarding the dam as Chatfield and Cherry Creek.  No
fishing within 100 feet of the dam from 4:00pm until 9:00am, March 15th through April 15th.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i t seems like every time we go to pueblo we mark a bunch of fish in the boat ramp marina area, but we never ever caught anything in there??

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have never fished Pueblo Res... but when fishing for stripers on a boat a lot of my buddies will slab for the fish that are bunched up.... Seems to offer a better bite rate for hard to catch fish..

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thanks for the INFO GMC.

I did not even bother to try for any of the fish I marked areound the North marina. I have never had any luck with them either. But there were some guys shore fishing (power bait on bottom) for trout back in November/December that did okay near the tires north of the marina/dock area.

Mac

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Striper fly-Slabbing is the way to go-especially when the water is this cold. But so few fishermen know how to do it or put in the time to learn how. Their loss. :(

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I think one of the reasons people don't like slabbbg is that they try it with to light equipment? I have seen so many people try to slab with the same light spinning gear they use for jigging. You need a sturdy baitcast rod and a flipping switch to make it enjoyable! You also see alot of people try it for five minutes, get snagged, then try something else.

·
Registered
136 Posts
alot of times those fish you see suspended are crappie. use a small yellow and white tube jig(1.5 inch). Just lower it to the depth of the fish. Do not jig it, just let the natural quiver from your hand be your action. You're liable to catch anything not just crappie. And its plenty of big neglected crappie in this lake. I've caught 16 17 inch crappie in suspending super rouges.

·
Registered
55 Posts
One night I was in the north shore marina area marking schools of fish. I dropped a green light and a 3/4 ounce fle-fly, and tore up the walleye for about three hours.

Of course, all the fish were 17 3/4 inches. It was really fun to watch the fish come up from the depths. I somehow feel that there are very large walleye haning around that marina.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
McFish-Slabbing is just another word for deep water vertical jigging-called slabbing because alot of guys do it with 1 oz. and heavier lead slabs. Neal is right-guys try and do this with equipment that is too light for the heavy spoons and slabs. IMHO you don't have to use baitcasting gear (I don't) but I think for most guys it is a better way to go. You want pool que type rods and heavier line.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hey Kirbydog,

I do not want to take it personally, but you have made similar postings before and they appear to be aimed at me …

“… or put in the time to learn how. Their loss. ”

I do not know what I did to upset you so much, other than actually fishing at Pueblo and asking where “ship rock” is, but let me give you a little bit of my background and history … not that it will help your attitude towards me.

I grew up here in Colorado and it takes me about 2 to 2.5 hours to get down to Pueblo. I have fished Pueblo Reservoir exactly 5 times. Twice when I was a teenager and 3 times in the last 5 months (I’m now 45 years old). I am generally a catch-and-release fisherman but I will occasionally keep a fish to eat. I have (previous to fishing tips I found on this forum) only used slabbing techniques for Northern Pike and I have obviously not mastered the method but I am working on it. I slabbed using Kastmasters and others for about 3.5 hr.s on Saturday, 03/18/06 … both with and without bait and did not get even a nibble (this wound up being about 1/3 of my fishing time on the water). I admit I need help and/or practice with this. I used both lite and heavy equipment for slabbing (1/2 oz. on 6 lb. Mono up to 1.5 oz on 30 lb. Powerpro) … I tried various methods … quick upward stroke – slow let down, slow upward stroke – full free-fall, twitching – no jigging, and everything in between. I tried jigging above the fish … at the same level … and below the fish. It is not that I am not trying or “putting my time in”.

I sometimes work over 100 hours a week for weeks-on-end and I inquired as to location and techniques so that I can save time and not just go on a long boat ride. Can you blame me?

Whatever I did to upset you, please accept my apologies …

Mac

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Just wanted to say a word of thanks to the information posted about how to catch fish at Pueblo.
Its great to read about some new techniques and try them out.
I just wish each one didn't require a trip to the fishing shop.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
MacGyver it seemed to me that he was saying you were on the right track. I donnu. Hell I did not even know what fly slabbin was.. Plan to do more of that style of fishing in the late fall and early spring. Purchased a bunch of kastmasters and sonics just for this purpose.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
MacGyver-I don't carry a grudge and I did not direct my comment about "putting in the time" or "their loss" at anyone in particular.  What I meant was, vertical jgging is a technique that is not easily learned but it has great rewards if you stick with it.

I don't really like the obsession (my words) that we seem to have here on the site about fish location on a lake and  I'm guessing that is well known by many.  Whatever I've said on this site was not directed toward you and I'm sorry if thats the impression you got.  I'd much prefer to see more posts about technique and presentation than about "where" to go.

So again, I'm sorry you took any of this personally.  I certainly didn't intend any offense.  Good luck on your fishing.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Kirbydog,

Thanks for clarifying, and good luck with your fishing as well.

Mac

·
Registered
164 Posts
Kirby Dog is right about slabbing... just another helpful way to catch cold stuburn fish...... Although Dynamite works well too

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Something about a spoon fluttering donwward just right!!! Works anytime fish are 20 feet or deeper, any season!

I know some good fishernman who use spinning tackle! I just meant it is easier for me to control a 1 0z spoon with a MH 6 1/2' baitcaster! I also like having a flipping switch to release line at anytime.

Channel Cats like slabbed spoons also!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts