Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
I heard it's been really slow for some reason. Nothing but trout. Hopefully the walleyes and wipers start picking up soon. We all just have to wait for that perfect weather. Water temps are just about there.

Do you fish Pueblo from your boat most of the time?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the report - yes - I fish mostly from the boat. I've mostly fished from Mid island west so far because the water is warmer... I've picked up the bows in the river west of turkey creek so far... I know I've been marking some wiper off main lake points still pretty deep but I've yet to be able to stay on them long enough to find out what they are hungry for.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's kind of what I've been thinking as well. Sometimes they show up early depending on temps. Really appreciate the feed back. I'll be out scouting from time to time between now and then and when I find them I'll let you know. Thanks for the updates.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Hey Walt-Haven't been out there in about 2 wks. I hear its a zoo already at the boat ramps on the weekends. That true?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there are starting to show up in droves for sure(pleasure boaters)... but hasn't been all that bad. not bad enough yest to keep me from trying... usually I'm in and out when it hasn't started to get busy during the day... but this time of year I'm letting the water warm up a bit during the day before I go.. so traffic is a little more than I usually see... but still not too bad. I've also been fishing back in the west end where there is a no wake zone so that is keeping most of the pleasure craft out. take care though... people are still trying to get used to getting out again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my schedule for fishing has changed for this weekend - am heading out today(4/14) after work... supposed to be some wind tomorrow and we will be busy getting things ready for Easter anyway... I'll let you all know what I found.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well - the water around turkey creek on pueblo reservoir is about 58. On up in the river it reached as high as 61. This was 4/14. The carp are spawning in the brush. Won't be long now... saw some shad being chased out of the water.. could have been trout. I caught one bow about 15''.

Saw a good swirl and about a 4'' shad flying through the air. My wife(Rhea) and I started casting the that direction. It was right at the brush line in the river. I know I saw a silver flash so again I thought another trout... or even... yep a wiper... well we made several cast when I heard Rhea's line zingin.... just one medium run and then it was like a bull slowly making his way up river... well, guys and gals... Rhea has me on size so far... 12lb 3ozs... a carp hitting a shad immatation crank bait. Was exciting though. She at least has the skunk off her back for the year.

[/http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g269/waltthefisherman/DSC00013.jpg]

I am excited at all the fish I was seeing.. with the temps where they are I'm thinking it will be very soon we see some wiper action.

·
Registered
297 Posts
That's a big ol' bugle mouth!
We fished out there on Wed afternoon and pulled one nice small mouth. Saw some big spots in the grass, but couldn't get them interested.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Talked to a friend that lives at Pueblo West and has fished the lake almost daily for 20+ years.  If you believe in wildlife patterns and folk lore, he says the fishing will not pick up until the swallows return for the summer.  Said the swallows will return to the cliffs in about a week.

I'm sure the return of the swallows is related to time of the year and temperature and is somewhat predictable but that is what he uses to judge the fishing activity level there.

When I used to focus on nothing but bass down there, I had my own method. If the day time temp and night time temp added together reached or exceeded 100 for 4 straight days, the fishing would start to pick up.

EX: Day 1, night time temp 35 + day time temp 65 = 100
Day 2, night time temp 40 + day time temp 70 = 110
Day 3, night time temp 30 + day time temp 75 = 105
Day 4, night time temp 40 + day time temp 65 = 105

My method is/was based on consistent weather patterns and how they influence bass, his is based on timing and is for walleye but both seem relatively reliable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, thank for the info.. .will have to pay attention this year. We should be seeing some wipers soon as warm as the water was Friday... I'll be checking from mid island west soon I hope. Although, year before last we killed them early in Boggs flats and the creek... you can never be for sure with the wiper... I think were ever the shad a comfy there will be the wiper. Thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts