Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to try the Res this morning. We fished from 6am to 8am and caught 3 wipers. There are 2- 3lb wipers and 1 6 1/2lb wiper. Would have fished longer but the lake is super crowded and all the boat traffic spooked the wipers down deep. Will try again in the morning.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Did you catch them with bottom bouncers while looking for Walleye?
I'm surprised how many boats get on the water early.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wipers where boiling in the back of a cove this morning and we threw top water lures at them. We would have had a few more but they got off right at the boat. Boat traffic was crazy very early this morning. I think everyone wanted to get there early to be the rush, but they all came at the same time...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Really nice fish. You can't beat it we they boiling on top.
The boat traffic can be something else. You would think the jet skiers would stay in the main lake where they can really play around but that's not the case anymore. They also come out earlier now. It use to be you could get a few hours of fishing in but now they're launching with the fishing boats.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I just got back from Pueblo today from a few days of camping. Your fish are identical to what I caught last night! And one of the 3 pounders I caught fought like my big one, they are strong! I had one huge one on that pulled the hooks out of my zara spook, it came back with no hooks, that thing was about to spool me. The wipers were very picky, I threw everything and they only wanted the spook. I can't wait to go back!!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yeah those smaller two sure don't have much for broken lines. I'm not saying that they are stripper by any means because I know be than that but its just something you don't see that often.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The lines are much more broken than you can see in the pics. I have been chasing these things for 10 years and have yet to see a striper come out of the pueblo reservoir. These are wipers.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I made it out to Pueblo yesterday as well; although I didn't locate the rising Wipers, I did happen across a carp with a Wiper attitude. This puppy struck a bass pattern 4inch Rapala being trolled at the west end of the lake. When she struck, I knew it was a good sized fish, thinking Wiper or large Carp:

There was plenty of room to fish, Holiday weekend aside, but the weekend boaters and wave runners were maniacal.  Decided to call it a day even though I had planned on staying through Sunday. 

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nice wipers! Are wipers safe to eat in this state? I'm originaly from western NY and it's recomended not to eat any striper/wiper because of mercury. For some reason those species can contain really high levels (at least in NY)

If they are safe to eat here in CO, how do they taste?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
My family likes Wiper deep fried in batter. They like Wiper better then Trout.
Haven't heard of a health problem except for some heart burn from eating to much.

D

·
0 Posts
shayes said:
Nice wipers! Are wipers safe to eat in this state? ... If they are safe to eat here in CO, how do they taste?
No. They are definitely NOT safe to eat and they taste awful. So be sure to let me know if you catch any and I'll come pick them up from you and dispose of them properly for you. ;D (But make sure you keep them on ice after catching them.)

Seriously, they're great. When you filet them cut off the thin layer of red meat. It may give them a strong taste. Once that's gone they're comparable to crappie.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts