Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I stumbled onto this forum while doing some research for a trip I’ll be taking in a couple of weeks. I’ll be visiting a friend in Colorado Springs and plan to do a little bit of skiing, but realized it might be fun to try and fish a little as well. From what I can tell it looks like the tail waters of the Pueblo Reservoir have some amazing fishing and I would like to check it out for an afternoon. I’m not looking to steal anyone’s hidden secret, just looking to spend a nice afternoon catching a fish or two. I’ll be traveling very light with a four-piece 8wt rod, probably not much room for proper waders. Is it possible to do much from the shore or just getting in the water a few feet? Anyone going to be out and want to show me around?

Some perspective:

I’m a father of three kids under 7, I work as an ICU RN, I don’t get a chance to travel much, let alone fish. Just want to unwind a little Doing something I love.

Thanks to anything you have to offer, and please let me know if I’m to do a proper introduction somewhere.

Erik

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
There will be about 200 people on that stretch with you. I'm sure they will help you out!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Now that you mention it, it must be excellent fishing as nobody ever posts about the Pueblo tailwater. Silence is a strong indicator of good fishing...

With that, I did a quick google search for "reservoir tailwater" and the 6th picture is a Nice walleye from the Pueblo tailwater....of all places....

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
the water might be high if they have to dump from the lake, they will start releasing some into the ditch on the 15th but if they cant drain enough in the ditch they might dump into the river. the normal high water level in the lake is 4883 and now it is 4888

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes,there are several access points directly below the dam. Google maps it.
We were there at about 8 a.m. today & the flows were very low. Waders would be helpful, but not at all required for success. Saw alot of stockers in the water, none were biting. At about 9:30, went just up above the dam ....
3rd cast in the lake. Don't forget your license & a camera. There are Special Regulations on that stretch of river, regs available @ any tackle shop.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Slimer! minus 2!

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
The music on that vid was atrocious also but It's the kinder, gentler Slayer-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, that’s all the convincing I need! I’ll be out there the weekend of March 9th, I’ll report back here either way. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
592 Posts
An 8wt is total overkill for trout on that river, or pretty much any river in Colorado, but it would be awesome for tossing big streamers and poppers for bass and walleyes on Pueblo Reservoir. Call The Drift fly shop in Pueblo when you get there, they're cool...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s overkill for most of the fishing in MN and western WI that I do as well, but it’s the only 4-piece rod I have so it’s my best option for travel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts