Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to fish it with Kyle but he already had plans at his Dad's house so I asked Robert (reeltime) if he was interested. He had nothing going on so he was down with it. Wasn't going to fish it to begin with but Kyle and Joel had such a great evening on Monday I figured it would be fun to try it.

Paid the entry fee ($80) then the meeting and launching of the boats. At the meeting they said we were going to go early but not so much. We all sat out in the sun and baked for 45 minutes. banghead
Tourny rules were 5 fish limit but to weigh 5 you had to have 2 species. Could weigh 4 walleye or wiper but not 5. Pretty cool being able to fish for eyes, bass, and wiper.
All the boats took off at once. Hit the first spot with two other boats in the area and they were catching quite a few fish while we weren't getting anything until a stuck a bass on a tube but it was short by .5"

We tried a few other spots in the area with no love. Headed east and I caught a few short fish including a walleye that had its way with me. :(
Went to flip it in the boat and did so a little fast. Starting coming towards my feet and it starting flopping putting a hook in the top of my foot. Robert helped get the fish off while I cut the line and assessed the damage. It swelled up REALLY fast! Wondering if it caught a vein but no way was I going to the ER for a hook in a tourny. Debated using the line trick or poking it through the other side. Went with poking it through my skin. Then I had to cut the barb. Missed the barb once but the second time I got it and the hook slid out. Only took two pics and the first I already poked it through.

Out

Kept a eye on the swelling and kept fishing. Hit a few other spots catching undersized fish including two walleyes in two casts. Robert got on the board with short fish. Moved some more and found the wiper and I proceeded to catch 5 with the 5th upgrading our sack. Also caught a spotted bass that was just over 15".

Night came and the fishing slowed but we both pulled in a few short fish. Headed to the ramp at 9:30 and weighted in feeling like we had it for sure. Weighted the 4 wiper which weighted

Added the bass (released)

Dead well

My fish

Different fish on my right

Leader board

Missed the ceremony part. Came up at the very end. We were in the NW corner where everything started. Sucked we missed it would of liked to seen everything and talk to some folks.
They did hand out some nice lures and stickers which was cool.

The biggest disappoint was they advertised paying the top 5 plus big fish which would be worth $150.
So I was thinking they would pay 35%-50% to the first place team. Not so much, they paid out 10 yes 10 places in a field of 21. So nearly half the teams got their money back.
They also only did big fish for walleye although I didn't hear what species would be part of the big fish pot I figured it would be all three included.
Not sure what happen here for sure but pretty disappointed with the way it was done. How many people are going to put up $80 for a chance to win $201.xx? My guess is a few less people would of fished it especially if they have to drive any distance. I live less the 20 minutes from the lake but if I lived in Denver it would barely cover my costs to fish it.

Anyways enough of the negative part. We had a good time I caught a bunch of nice fish and finished 1st.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Congrats bro. I had a feeling you would finish top 5 for sure with how much we fish it. Too bad I had plans but looks like you didn't need me man! Well done! Sucks about the money placing but at least you can say you took the top spot. ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Congrats on the win Kurtis.

I have a strict shoes on rule when fishing crankbaits for just that reason. I have come close to that situation once already.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Great job!...you arent related to Neal are you?...he cant go fishing without bleeding...good thing he isnt a hemophiliac he would have to take up a new sport! :eek:

Great wipers!!!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Good job fo sho boon! Too bad you had to give up some blood especially for a little check! A win is a win though bro!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Congrats again!! D**n that looks painful...

D.J.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Damn Boon,
I'm a nurse and even that made my pulse jump. Great job with the tournament.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Nice Fish.... Great Finish...

Now for my vent.
The Fall classic is a go and have fun tournament which is why it isn't a Walleye tournament and the fact that the entry is only $80.00........
The point of this tournament isn't about cashing a check or the entries would be Larger, it was set up to spead the love out across to help those whom cannot afford most tournaments and if it helps pay for part of there gas money then great. Try and offer something to all.

You entered the tournament same day. Did you read this tournament rules or the Points tournament rules. Sounds like you read the points tournament rules.

As I am leaving soon to another adventure this is a great time to say it again... Become the Change you want to see!!!!!!!!!!!

Without the HARD work of many volunteers these tournaments would never happen.
The CWA is in need of a Tournament Director, UP FOR THE CHALLENGE ANYONE... >:D >:D

That being said Thanks to all and there hard work that gave this opportunity to you all

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wanzek said:
Nice Fish.... Great Finish...

Now for my vent.
The Fall classic is a go and have fun tournament which is why it isn't a Walleye tournament and the fact that the entry is only $80.00........
The point of this tournament isn't about cashing a check or the entries would be Larger, it was set up to spead the love out across to help those whom cannot afford most tournaments and if it helps pay for part of there gas money then great. Try and offer something to all.

You entered the tournament same day. Did you read this tournament rules or the Points tournament rules. Sounds like you read the points tournament rules.

As I am leaving soon to another adventure this is a great time to say it again... Become the Change you want to see!!!!!!!!!!!

Without the HARD work of many volunteers these tournaments would never happen.
The CWA is in need of a Tournament Director, UP FOR THE CHALLENGE ANYONE... >:D >:D

That being said Thanks to all and there hard work that gave this opportunity to you all
Thanks!
I imagine you are Barry?
Maybe I read the points rules.... $80 is a lot for a club tournament. Isn't your normal tournys $80 per team per day?
Would be beneficial to have payout tables online before the tournament. Also what was going to be weighted as big fish, how places will pay, etc...
I looked at the website several time that week. Called Thursday and Friday to sign up. Received a call Friday around 6 telling me to show up at 1215 to sign up which I did.
I bet it is a lot of work and thanks for the people doing it. Seems as though the CWA is a strong club compared to all the bass clubs. So many around and not enough boats for the tournys.

Anyways thanks for the hard work to the volunteers! I don't really fish for walleye just catch them while bass fishing. Wouldn't of fished it if it was just walleye as they don't interest me.

Kurtis

·
Registered
640 Posts
kurtis,
This is not Barry, My name is Scott Wanzek I am the North Chapter Director.. I should say Ex North Chapter Director as I am getting ready to move to Minn.

$80.00 is dirt cheap for a tournament. The $160 for a points tournament is Dirt Cheap for a tournament as well.

I do agree with you on the web site issue. There is a reason for that. We are looking to getting it redone so it is easy to update. Today you have to know how to write in PHP to be able to update, not an easy last minute job. Again we are talking volunteerism, vs money. Another spot for someone to help out with......lol....

As I stated though nice fish and good job on the win.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for your reply.
I wasn't complaining about paying $80 just thought the way it was payed out was off the wall. Maybe if we had 40 boats.
Local tournaments in Colorado I can't imagine entry fees being over $200 for the weekend without losing most participants. A few would pay but most would be scared off. We don't live in a competitive fishing area.

Sure if you fish regional or national circuit $160 seems cheap but to most anglers it is a lot of money.
I would of fished it if I had known the payout as I live close. If I lived further away I wouldn't of bothered with it unless I planned on fishing the lake that day to add a little fun to the fishing.
Like I said the CWA has a good thing going and I hope a few people step up for you guys. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts