Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went West with a buddy, tried to find the river channel West of Swallows road.
The old route along the South side is choked with brush and we didn't want to risk the prop.
Is it possible to get farther West in a boat now?
Is there a new channel along the North shore?
Place is maze of flooded brush and old tumble weeds.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yea, in a canoe or kayak you can get farther west. I paddled back as far as I could last summer. There was a shallow braided channel, the difference between the shore and the channel bottom was maybe 2 feet where I could not paddle farther and the mud was to bad to drag the boat upstream. I think the channel was a bit south of where it was when the google maps imagery was taken. Need to get up there and see how far I can get with the higher water level. Who wants to go paddle the west end?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can hit it again Wednesday. At the earliest
Anyone have a spare drone with a camera?

·
Registered
199 Posts
It can be a maze out there with the high water, but basically if you follow the south shore and then take a right where the water forks (this lane doesn't look like it is the river channel but is) the water opens back up and you are good to go. A depth finder is also useful to make sure you in the channel and are not just cruising a backwater. A couple weeks back we took the boat way up to the old bridge tressel.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Any word on spawning runs up river this year?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Anybody want to do a trip from florence to the reservior, take out at turkey creek?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had shoulder surgery in February. Can't do that distance.
Still cheaper then a new motor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It can be a maze out there with the high water, but basically if you follow the south shore and then take a right where the water forks (this lane doesn't look like it is the river channel but is) the water opens back up and you are good to go. A depth finder is also useful to make sure you in the channel and are not just cruising a backwater. A couple weeks back we took the boat way up to the old bridge tressel.
At the split (I was there yesterday) it was about 18' and there was allot on the fish finder in the 6-8' range, but nothing we tried worked/rookies we are. followed the fork to the right but nothing. water temps were in the 53-54 range. Lots of pelicans. What's the temps that things start changing/biting?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
yeah, ^ "his girlfriends hobie hippie status fo life!..... " lol. those things cruise.... almost 2.5 mph. man i need a yak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts