Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fishing for stripers for years and have never payed much attention to Wipers that in Colorado... I have two questions.... are there shad in Pueblo Res? and is the lake iced over this time of year? I have plans to make a trip down there... I want to see if my knowledge is stripers will pay off...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The lake is loaded with shad! Generally the lakes stays open year round. I think it was last year or the year before the new state record come out of there on a fly rod set up early in the year. If it works out for you share your knowlede....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will Do..... hey thanks for the help... I plan on making a trip down there this weekend. I actually just got back from fishing Lake Texoma for Stripers and the urge to catch monster fish that eat other fish has not left me yet.... I will let you know what I discover... One more question for you... are these Gizzard Shad that they put in the lake or threadfin?

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
And it wasnt just a state record from what I hear...5 ounces off the world mark...and I believe he waited 3 hours to get it weighed...would of been a world mark...

The lake is stuffed with shad (gizzard)...

The biggest Wiper we got last year was 18 pounds...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I only catch wipers when they show up on the surface or accidently when fishing for bass. I would love to hear how to catch them other than being in the right place at the right time.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
It is all about being in the right place at the right time-almost impossible to pattern them. They generally move from the upper end in early spring (like right now) toward the lower end by summer but they can show up anywhere, anytime. I also catch most of my wipers fishing for bass. Fall is about the only time I'll target them and even then I fish for them early mornings before 9 am then switch over to bass.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not to familiar with Pueblo Reservoir. What part of the lake is considered the upper and which part is considered the lower? I want to have as much information about the lake before I make my two hour trip?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
where do you live striper fly
and is pueble reservoir the only one your going to try this year
for wiper

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live around the golden area.... So far what I have read about Pueblo's large number of big wipers and population of shad fits perfect with my type of fishing... Nearly all the flies I’ve tied are shad patterns that I have found successful on stripers... although I am not opposed to tying new flies....If there is another lake closer by all means share...  ;D  If I can catch big wipers and drive less that sounds good to me.... Its funny I have been so captured by the striped bass I have never paid much attention to wiper fishing in my native state.  I'm hoping all the books I have read and time spent chasing stripers will give me a leg up on these Hybrids... There is just something about catching a fish that eats other fish 7 inches long that gets me excited!

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
so your going to be going after the wiper in pueblo with a fly rod or just
flies just asking

because from what i have heard about pueblo most wipers are deep and
like big baits

so just kinda curious if you dont mind telling

·
Registered
636 Posts
striper_fly,
A few places that hold a healthy number or wipers that are closer to you than Pueblo are Standley Lake and Union Reservoir. Wait until the water hits about 65 degrees and then hold on!

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
Hey STRiper- how was Texoma lake? Is it worth a trip there? Me and my bro like new adventures!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea Kats I fish with a fly rod... I use several different types of lines, floating, full sinking, etc so I have been able to get deep or stay shallow when needed.  In March I spend a lot of time on Lake Texoma Dam fishing. I count to 35sec with a full sinking line then start striping it in... I would imagine I am over 30 feet deep when I do that... Most of the flies I use are over 5 inches and avg. around 7 some even over 10 inches long... So when I heard that pueblo has Shad I was excited cause I can use all the same flies I use on the striper.
Now is pueblo the only place with shad in it... Or does Union and Stanley have shad as well?
Hey Slayerfish- Lake Texoma is great... I usually make it down there at least 6-7 times a year..(Money allowing of course or should I say wife lol)  If you have a boat then you in better shape then me... The Lake has over 540 miles of shore line and can be over whelming if you don't know where to go... But fishing is great... I just got back on Monday night fishing was harder then usual due to the lack of ran and heat waves they have been getting but we found them in Buncombe Creek and some other areas Caught a few fish over 36 inches but mostly schoolies in the 6-7 pound range and boy they fight like crazy.... If you want more info about it let me know... I will be glad to help... I have a brother in law that lives down there and fishes more often then I do. But even then... fish have tails and can make it hard to find them...

Wow Sorry about the novel

·
Registered
691 Posts
Striper Fly - good report. Another wiper lake to consider is Douglas Reservoir north of Ft Collins. We fly fish for wipers from the shore - usually near the boat ramp. Our 2 biggest have been 13lb and 11lb - both on big white woolly buggers. I saw a guy there with a 17lb wiper caught on a topwater plug 2 summers ago. We had our best fishing in April and May. John

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
I disagree Looney...I want everyone to forget about Aurora... :mad: ::) :p

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Which of these lakes have healthy populations of shad and wipers?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Does anyone know if there are still wipers in Horsetooth? Used to catch them up there a few
years ago when trolling for walleye. Never in any great number, but always decent in size.

L

·
0 Posts
Cherry Creek has both. The current state record was caught at Pueblo during March I believe. I also think the fish was the world record fly rod. The story I was told at North Shore Marina, was the fish was caught in super shallow water at the west end of the lake. Speaking of North Shore Marina, they have a tempature guage that is like 10' deep, so you can call and get accurate water temp before you go. Super guy's there also.  

1 - 20 of 21 Posts