Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I am new to fishing and am trying to teach myself how to catch anything I can get my hands on. I have watched a lot of videos for bass and have a small amount of gear for that and also have learned to trout fish mainly with a inline spinner. Anyways, I live in Pueblo Colorado, I usually fish runyon lake and done very little at the reservoir. I have not caught much and I do not have access to a boat. I am a college student so funds are limited. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for maybe some good places to practice some of my bass tactics and also any tips on how to catch them would be great, Thanks all :)

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Hi all! I am new to fishing and am trying to teach myself how to catch anything I can get my hands on. I have watched a lot of videos for bass and have a small amount of gear for that and also have learned to trout fish mainly with a inline spinner. Anyways, I live in Pueblo Colorado, I usually fish runyon lake and done very little at the reservoir. I have not caught much and I do not have access to a boat. I am a college student so funds are limited. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for maybe some good places to practice some of my bass tactics and also any tips on how to catch them would be great, Thanks all :)
Join a Bass club. Contact Fountain Valley Bass Club or Pikes Peak Bassmasters they are the closest clubs to you...

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Well, in my opinion, it's wise to start simple and learn one thing at a time. Tube jigs are a great bait that works for countless species in most colorado waters. Olive are great and so are white... I would stick with 3" using an internal jig head that is 1/4oz-3/8oz. Stay away from tubes that have glitter or flash.

Go to the res... you can pinch off 1" of worm and put it on the hook if you like.. probably a good idea. You can also go to the ponds by the res. Look for points.. points hold fish. Shallow points with deep water close. Or, look for brush.. don't cast into brush, cast next to it. Keep your rod tip high and work it slowly along the bottom. I would also use a stiffer rod than what you are likely using.

As far as budget, good luck!!! lol. It's not super cheap, but not terribly expensive. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
most of pueblo requires a pass as we[[ as the ponds under the dam, however you can fish part of it without a pass at the west end. you can catch lots of fish there after the ice is gone. it starts getting good about the first of Apr. and it can be real good if you don't mind a hike to get away from the bait dunkers that are lazy or cant walk far. send me a PM for more info

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Hah! You guys are too gullible! It's prolly Neal trolling for info-

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
well he's not learning anything with what we have posted
What are you talking about?!?! I have learned:

Pueblo has a reservoir.
It is filled with water.
Higher than normal, allowing boats to get to unique locations
Water is too high to launch aforementioned boats
Access areas by foot
Use bait, and tackle.
Have fun. It is called fishing, not catching.

With that, my recommendation is to use 2 poles (or as many as allowed). Fishing from shore I would use a minnow (or worms) on one pole under a float/bobber/indicator. With the other one, toss out weighted jigs with plastic tubes/grubs or toss a metal spoon. Let fall to various depths and retrieve to find where the fish are at.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Don't listen to those guys. Get a belly boat or a personal pontoon(I hear kayaks work well too) and you don't need to worry about flooded boat ramps or the bugs on shore. Then you get a fly rod and tie up an assortment of flies. Bait and lure fishermen will look upon you with envy as you catch a plethora of fish. Your wife and children will love you for bringing the delicious treats home...;)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Don't listen to those guys. Get a belly boat or a personal pontoon(I hear kayaks work well too) and you don't need to worry about flooded boat ramps or the bugs on shore. Then you get a fly rod and tie up an assortment of flies. Bait and lure fishermen will look upon you with envy as you catch a plethora of fish. Your wife and children will love you for bringing the delicious treats home...;)

I love everything about this response!! Well said Nak.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
it was just announced on the news that the south ramp is closed now and the water will remain this high till April 15th when they will start letting out 1/2 million gallons of water out

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Don't imagine the north ramp is far behind-theres got a be a better way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey all! Sorry for a long time between replies, I got caught up with school, Had a bunch of tests. But anyways thank you all for your replies i truly appreciate it. i have learned a ton from everyone here. I actually found a spot on the arkansas that a friend and i caught a ton of small rainbows at. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
it was just announced on the news that the south ramp is closed now and the water will remain this high till April 15th when they will start letting out 1/2 million gallons of water out
oh that's PERFECT timing
Is the high water level a bad thing for those fishing from shore?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts