Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Went out this weekend for the first time to get a feel for where the lake is at? Fishing for walleye is really slow and they are hard to find right now. Night fishing is the way to go right now. Water temps are 39 to 42 degrees on the main lake and I did find some up to 44 in one cove. I spent whole day just cruising and graphing. People seem really impatient to get started this spring but who could blame them. I am not booking any trips till after April 1st when the fishing should be much better.

I did fish a short stretch down by the dam on the north shore that sometimes produces a few males this time of year. My first cast I felt a slight tap on my jig and I set the hook. An hour and a half later we had caught 85 slimers馃槚 I guess they had stocked like 10,000 a few days before, lol. It was fun just to catch some fish.

When we came in to get inspected we heard that a boat had just sunk out on the main lake. Fortunately the Ranger boat got to them and plucked five people out of the lake. They were treated for hyperthermia in the ambulance while I was shutting down my boat. It never ceases to amaze me how little respect some people have for this lake when it is windy! You really have to be careful right now with all The floating timber in the lake!!!! Nets go out on March 11th.

Registered
the 1st trip is always to early to catch good fish more like a good boat ride, then the next one you may get some but like you said 4/1 is when you can count on maybe having a good day out and after tax day it will be red hot

Registered
Second this-went out today and caught 2 walleye-both under. Only two bites I had-not even showing much on my sonar-some suspended fish that could be almost anything. As I said, my least favorite time of the year is March. Its like the fish disappear.

Registered
Second this-went out today and caught 2 walleye-both under. Only two bites I had-not even showing much on my sonar-some suspended fish that could be almost anything. As I said, my least favorite time of the year is March. Its like the fish disappear.
x3... add in a SSE wind and it don't get a hellova lot worse!

Registered
Almost forgot-water is very clear lower lake and 38-39.

Registered
Like you said sometimes it's just good to feel something pulling on the other end. I'm headed down there tonight to see if there may be a few walleye moving in. I'll be happy if I even get one to lick it. If not maybe I'll end up with a few slimers for the dogs. I'll let ya know.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I hate March also!!! It is usually really windy also:mad:

Registered
Glad the 5 people were rescued! I've been tempted to take the boat out and now am really glad to wait until they release water and the timber gets back on shore. Pretty scary stuff.

The night bite has been way off this year. I've been out a dozen times since early February and there's been nothing to write about. I did manage one nice girl last week that went 24.5". Plump and full of eggs (still swimming, of course). Everything caught on the dam was short. Not one keeper off the dam this spring.

I'm going to try it again on Monday as my son is in town and he wants to give it a shot with me. He's super lucky so maybe he'll help us get into them.

Registered
Have been three times since February 8th. In those three trips managed only one keeper male. Been hitting places that have produced in past years but not this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts