Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just scheduled a guided trip in Puerto Rico for Peacock Bass, Rainbow Bass (Guapote), & African Ciclids. Going March 13th. I'm bringing my 8wt and a small collection of Bass/Pike poppers/streamers. The guide fly fishes and has his own hand tied flies and backup rods also, so I'm not too concerned on tackle overall. The 8wt has rio bass line and I'll probably pick up some heavier leaders/tippet.

Anyone ever fish for these species? Also, I might try to fish around some of the jetties/piers around where I'm staying in San Juan. I'll be there for 3 days. Any recommendations for catching a few salt water species in this scenario?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
You might PM Blowfish..I think he lives there now...not too sure what part of Puerto Rico. I also think Redleader spends quite a bit of time there.

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
I think blowfish lives in the Philippines...

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Fished for them in South Florida including Oscars. Pretty much just bass fishing. Ciclids where pretty small in south Florida so they became live bait. If you fish the jetties etc I would be really surprised if you didn't catch small fish living in the rocks. Try and time it with the tide and you might get something bigger.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just realized I posted this under fly tying and not fly fishing. Sorry about that. Maybe someone can move it to wherever it belongs.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I fished for peacock bass in Panama and had too heavy of gear, think smallmouth fishing. Off the shore in the salt I would take an assortment of small poppers, crankbaits, jigs and bait hooks. Watch the locals and do what they do. Good luck

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I AM JEALOUS!
Wish I could go.

PLEASE post pics upon your return!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rigging up a new Lamson Konic with some intermediate sink saltwater line (Guide said "Sinking Line & Intermediate Sinking"). It looks like we'll be throwing large streamers instead of top-waters. Fly shop said I need saltwater line due to the warmer temps.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Check out bonefishwhisperer.com on the web or Facebook. Cordell is a guru with a fly rod and saltwater. His electric dread flies are the bomb. Catches a ton of peacocks in the canals around Miami too.

Sorry can't help on Puerto Rico, live in the Philippines like Zman said.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts