Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been lately and typically when will runoff really get going. We have a trip planned for a few days next friday .

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I was at State Bridge last Friday, the river is coming up and off color a bit, but not that bad. Run-off has laready started, there has been so much rain and snow it has been changing day to day depending on how warm it gets. Usually by May run-off is in full-force and it peaks around the beginning of June.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fishlip. Well hopefully it isn't super blown out. I actually like the Rado running big and slightly off color verse low and clear. The rado is never really that clear.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was there a couple weeks ago when it was holding steady at 800cfs, but it jumped up to around 2000 in a couple days. I'll be honest with you, last April on the C was awesome around Pumphouse. Size 4 Rubberlegs and flashy worms. Even if it's off color...those fish chow. I'm assuming it's not clear, but it shouldn't keep you away!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Planning to float the upper Colorado on Friday. Will report back on conditions.

BTW, I'm guessing Pumphouse-Radium usually fishes better this time of year vs Radium-Rancho?

·
Registered
125 Posts
i fished it exactly one year ago Friday (tax day) and it was an absolute slaughter from rancho to state bridge....we didn't put in at pumphouse cuz of ice on the boat ramps but that won't be an issue now

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
ColMan said:
Planning to float the upper Colorado on Friday. Will report back on conditions.

BTW, I'm guessing Pumphouse-Radium usually fishes better this time of year vs Radium-Rancho?
Where are you putting in/taking out?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Water clarity is off, yesterday at state bridge visibility was down to about 2'. It rained and snowed above 6,000feet last night, if it gets warm it is going to get worse.

·
Registered
43 Posts
COCarp said:
Where are you putting in/taking out?
Had been planning on putting in at Radium and taking out at Rancho. However, my guess is that putting in at Pumphouse and taking out at Radium may be the better choice in the event that the feeder creek below the needle rapid is running.

·
Registered
125 Posts
For what it's worth- I think you'd be happier doing Pump-Radium..if Sheephorn Creek below the Canyon is puking (and it will be), water below the Radium hot springs will be off color a bit. Spend a lot of time fishing the big inside seams and deeper water before the canyon. When i was up there recently there was a lot of ice in the canyon as it doesn't get much sun in the winter.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I floated it yesterday (just floated - didn't fish) and Sheephorn isn't bad right now. There are a lot of beaver ponds on lower Sheephorn Creek that may be allowing some settling to take place. Clarity isn't much different above vs. below that confluence. The river is high for this time of year, but the cool nights and cloudy days have stabilized things somewhat for the time being. Looks like that could hold true for the whole coming week. Floated Catamount in the afternoon and saw BWO's hatching, but no risers.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Floated it on friday, a little off color but not bad. Definitely got a bit darker closer to radium but that just means you can huck big streamers! Good number of fish caught between the put in and canyon. Slow fishing in and after the canyon.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Was upstream of Pumphouse in the canyon last Fri/Sat with variable fishing.

Fish were eating but selective and few and far between....however average fish size was very solid.

Pat's Rubber Legs in Tan, larger Red Copper Johns and White streamers were all the most productive.....all fished to slow, close to shore water.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts