Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you probably do more fishing in one month than I have my whole life. I'm wanting to do more of it, but I don't want to waste a lot of time and money. Casting is fun, but I'd like to actually catch fish I have some basic questions. Like, why do I need a leader for spinning and baitcasting? I understand why you would need one in flyfishing, but why would you need one if you are useing mono or flourocarbon line?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Lots of folks use a leader on braid to be more stealthy. Afraid the fish will see the braided line. In some instances it won't matter and some times it will help. If your using straight mono or flouro you probably don't need to worry about a leader. Unless your fishing a top water with flouro and don't want it to sink and tie on a mono leader to keep the bait up and such.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Leaders are by far one on the best thing to ever be used in fishing. If I could tie one in a heart beat, I do it, but since Im lazy and wont, I use leaders only if the situation calls for it. My main leader is braided line with fluoro leader. You have the flexibility of fluoro and sinking rate and the increased bite detection of braid.
Mono to fluoro is done to decrease fish vision of line to lure.
Another important aspect of having two types of line is when you need a backing ( think of backing mono before braid on a caster)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That pretty much answers my question. The bit about fluoro line being heavier than water was something I didn't know.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
FF,

In my opinion learning the importance of a leader is way down the line if you are at the point of learning I think you are... Line to line knots are tough to master and there are some issues using a swivel or O ring... not all bad issues, but you should understand them and there are many things far more important to learn first IMO.

I would not be worried about a flouro leader. I would learn to tie good knots with mono and hybrid lines... I would learn that depth is HUGE and how each lure reacts in order to get them to proper depth (or bait if that is how you are fishing).

Learn how to control depth and read water, and you will be 10x better off than trying to learn the importance or lack thereof in regards to leaders.

Also, paying attention to the details of what happened when you caught a fish is huge...

Learn to fish a tube jig, a jerk bait and a senko and you can catch nearly every species in CO... learning those critical concepts behind those three baits is WAAAAAY more important than learning leader concepts (which, by the way, are argued by everyone, so that tells ya how much true fact is involved)....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts