Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be in Grand Junction for 4 days with nothing to do and I'm not a huge football fan so I rather be fishing or hunting. I am from MN and would like to know if the fishing in western CO this time of the year is any good. I am avid bass fisherman and have started fly fishing as well.
Is it worth bringing my fly gear? I am I better off bass fishing? Are the lakes and rivers even open or iced over?

Please help. I am desperate for any type of outdoor activity and if I can't fish, I might just bring my rifle and sling some lead [heard GJ's got a public range that goes out to 1000 yds].

T.I.A!!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'll be in Grand Junction for 4 days with nothing to do and I'm not a huge football fan so I rather be fishing or hunting. I am from MN and would like to know if the fishing in western CO this time of the year is any good. I am avid bass fisherman and have started fly fishing as well.
Is it worth bringing my fly gear? I am I better off bass fishing? Are the lakes and rivers even open or iced over?

Please help. I am desperate for any type of outdoor activity and if I can't fish, I might just bring my rifle and sling some lead [heard GJ's got a public range that goes out to 1000 yds].

T.I.A!!
Man. I don't know if you can say the fishing is good this time of year. It's ice fishing. Kind of like a consolation prize. I have no clue about lakes and such out that way. I'm sure you can do it though. Gonna have to buy all that ****. Might be better off at that range you mentioned

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Fishing in February isn't "good" anywhere.

EDIT: Read your post as "Gunnison" for some reason. Not much for tailwater fishing in Junction, but you have the Colorado river. Bring your fly gear. Good luck on your outdoor adventures.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Not sure where you came up with those locations? They are obscure even to a lot of locals. They have a thin lid last I heard but it is going to be in the 50's this weekend. I live about 30 minutes from them and I wouldn't waste the time. Best fishing in junction right now is corn lake, no bass in there. The rivers in junction are a waste of time unless you are seeking an endangered species.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Purdy Mesa has no fish as it is just being filled after dam repair. I don't know about Juniata, but my guess if that it still has some ice. All the local ponds are ice free so you might look at Connected Lakes for bass and a few crappie. Probably still in deep water on the northern lake. West lake would have the warmest water of the three. I would guess the Jerry Creek Reservoirs have open water because of there south facing exposure. The more westerly one would have the warmest water. They are about 30 minutes from town toward Mesa CO.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Note, Jerry creek is catch and release and artificial lures only. Make sure you check the regs, every body of water here has different regulations

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man. I don't know if you can say the fishing is good this time of year. It's ice fishing. Kind of like a consolation prize. I have no clue about lakes and such out that way. I'm sure you can do it though. Gonna have to buy all that ****. Might be better off at that range you mentioned
Thanks...the more 'google university' research I do, the more I lean towards just bringing my rifle to shoot.

thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fishing in February isn't "good" anywhere.

EDIT: Read your post as "Gunnison" for some reason. Not much for tailwater fishing in Junction, but you have the Colorado river. Bring your fly gear. Good luck on your outdoor adventures.
haha...thanks. Fly gear is light and I can stuff it in my luggage. I'm going to bring my rifle too. I have family the lives right behind the CO river so if it don't look promising, I'm going to the Grand Valley Range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Purdy Mesa has no fish as it is just being filled after dam repair. I don't know about Juniata, but my guess if that it still has some ice. All the local ponds are ice free so you might look at Connected Lakes for bass and a few crappie. Probably still in deep water on the northern lake. West lake would have the warmest water of the three. I would guess the Jerry Creek Reservoirs have open water because of there south facing exposure. The more westerly one would have the warmest water. They are about 30 minutes from town toward Mesa CO.
I'm bringing my light fly gear for panfish and some heavier leaders and tippets for bass...sounds like I won't be fishing for trout. Jerry Creek is not too bad of a drive. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Note, Jerry creek is catch and release and artificial lures only. Make sure you check the regs, every body of water here has different regulations
thanks for the info... I read all that I could online and you are right. Luckily, I prefer art. lures and flies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts