Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished from 10 am to 3 pm. It was hot, in the low 90s, and the Bass, Bluegill and Mosquitoes were extremely active. I caught and released about 18 Largemouths between 12" and 16" and about 20 bluegill between 6" and 9". I was using a 5" Red Shad Senko rigged wacky for the Bass and small pieces of a Senko for the Bluegill. .The Bass were mainly on the south shore in the shade of the Cottonwoods while the Bluegills were concentrated in the coves. I fished the Senkos extremely slow with a majority of Bass taking it on the fall. The water was only slightly off color and there was little fishing pressure ( I was the only person there until about 2 pm) I also saw a school of the biggest Grass Carp I have ever seen. A pod of about 7 were cruising a back cove. These things must have been around 28" or longer. I also took some pictures of the scenery with the Grand Mesa in the background but they didn?t turn out. I will take more photos probably tomorrow when I go back!  :)

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
One might say those are some "purdy" fish!...

Ok bad pun...I am operating on little sleep...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ken. Its a real pain trying to take them by myself. I am going to have to recruit Troutfishingbear or Iceintheveins to be my camera man. ;D
Zman, dont quite your day job! ;)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Red Sox Rock said:
Where is this Purdy Mesa? Thanx. Alex
It's in Grand Junction area, head south on highway 50 from Grand Junction and you will see a sign that says Purdy Mesa just turn on that road and follow it.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
There are actually some pretty fat bass in there. There USED to be big bluegill too, but overharvest of the "bulls" kind of ruined that. 6-9" aren't bad though. Did you hear that the dude in charge of it is draining it this year? That sucks because then all those fish will die, and all the water from there will have to now be stored in juniata. Fishing may be ruined in this area for a long time :'(

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TroutFishingBear said:
There are actually some pretty fat bass in there. There USED to be big bluegill too, but overharvest of the "bulls" kind of ruined that. 6-9" aren't bad though. Did you hear that the dude in charge of it is draining it this year? That sucks because then all those fish will die, and all the water from there will have to now be stored in juniata. Fishing may be ruined in this area for a long time :'(
TFB, do you know why they are draining it? I hope they try to salvage some of those bass. I saw some real nice ones on their beds today.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Because they are fixing the outlet I think. They won't salvage the bass :'( when they could just put them in juniata :(

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TroutFishingBear said:
Because they are fixing the outlet I think. They won't salvage the bass :'( when they could just put them in juniata :(
I wonder if they are reqiured to maintain a reserve pool since State funding(I think) went into managing that fishery? I know that some of the irrigation company lakes on top of the Grand Mesa are required too because the State stocks and maintains some of those fisheries.  ???

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A few more pics from Purdy Mesa and Juniata. I hope they keep a reserve pool for Purdy!!!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
nice pics. You'll love juniata when you can get into its walleye. They can get pretty nice, I caught a 25.5" walleye once there, and last year had about an estimated 32" hit my lure. It also has big rainbows, nice smallmouth, and the occaisional gigantic largemouth. I'm up for hittin' juniata friday after school (I get out at like 12:00 because finals are over) if anyone else is up 4 it.

·
Banned
487 Posts
I am beyond angry for what the false city of GJ is doing to the lake. Terry Franklin and Greg Traitor, er, Trainor, the two bozos in charge of this lake, are beyond reprehensible. Terry Franklin even calls the two public reservoirs HIS RESERVOIRS. BS, they are OUR RESERVOIRS.
The DOW cannot salvage and will not salvage any bass. They will let the public keep them all. Terry will not let them transfer the bass to Juniata because he thinks the aquatic vegetation from the lower lake could contaminate Juniata. How stupid is that? Juniata is so deep and steep that aquatic vegetation could never take hold in there. He uses every excuse he can and he is so paranoid. He needs to go. NOW.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I.I.T.V., Who are these guys? Are they elected officials? If so get the ball rolling to get them out of office.

·
Banned
487 Posts
OURAY said:
I.I.T.V., Who are these guys? Are they elected officials? If so get the ball rolling to get them out of office.
Like most officials in GJ they are appointed. I would have to recall the council first. I may do that to those that don't vote to rescind the restrictions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts