Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know when you see a "show quality" pure breed dog? Like a pure Siberian Husky... or a pure and perfect spaniel... Just the absolute personification and almost a caricature of the breed....... that very rare animal that is a perfect snapshot of what people visualize when they think of that breed or "species" if you will.

Such was the catch of the day yesterday.

We tried the honeyhole by the dam, but it was unbelievably high and muddy still... The rains we've had have been constant and heavy.

No luck.

We tried a small river (normally home to some fantastic fishing) and no luck there as either... water too high, muddy.

Then we tried a place completely new to us. It's not part of a river system, and is fed solely with runoff and has a well-constructed outlet partition so that it never gets over-full. We tried several things, but couldn't catch anything. 93 degrees with 80% humidity... the fish probably felt like WE did... having no moving water: hot, sluggish, tired, irritable.

Skunked there for two hours before this beautiful specimen hit the crawler.

I've caught many shellcrackers before, but none more typified the perfect representation of the species as this one. It was really a beautiful fish, 8 3/4 inches and THIIIIIICK.

Thought I'd share it, since crackers are less plentiful out west.

Next week, we will find us a catfish population somewhere nearby. That's the next target.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Cool looking fish for sure!! AKA...... A tasty snack for a real fish ;) LMAO

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, it gave me two lovely thick filets. I am making them for my son today for lunch. :)

One thing I can say for Tennessee, 7-9 inch panfish are as plentiful as the grass here. We've only caught 3 over 10 so far, but that's three more than we caught in Denver in 2 years.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Actually, it gave me two lovely thick filets. I am making them for my son today for lunch. :)

One thing I can say for Tennessee, 7-9 inch panfish are as plentiful as the grass here. We've only caught 3 over 10 so far, but that's three more than we caught in Denver in 2 years.
My buddy FistFullaFish sent me a couple pictures of some 11" gills he caught the other day(Private dont count or I would post them up for you to see)

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Well..... I decided to post the pics anyway..... Keep in mind these were caught in a private pond:

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Those fish are about half the weight of the current state record!! They were over 1lb each but the state record is almost 2.5 lbs.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
So is a shellcracker the same as a redear? (i think so)

This whole pan fish identification is confusing.

I can not tell the difference between bluegill, green fish, sunfish and any hybrid of those.

Any simple way of knowing the difference?

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
So is a shellcracker the same as a redear? (i think so)

This whole pan fish identification is confusing.

I can not tell the difference between bluegill, green fish, sunfish and any hybrid of those.

Any simple way of knowing the difference?
Where I come from, they're all BREAM and they're all just food...

"That's all I have to say about that" -Forest Gump

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Where I come from, they're all BREAM and they're all just food...

"That's all I have to say about that" -Forest Gump
BREAM??? Really another term! Dang, I might have to stick to trout.

All Pan fish=Food=keep it simple. GOTCHA :biggrin1:

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shellcrackers are redear sunfish.

They have the red ear, greenish body and crappie-like markings.

Bluegills have a short, dark, blue/black ear, typically a yellowish coloration below the gills on the "breast" and often have vertical stripes in pairs of twos (but not always)

Green sunfish has lightning-bolt-like fluorescent green/blue markings on the head in front of the gills, a dark green body, and white or yellow fin tips.

Hybrids van be identified by the combinations of these features. For instance, if a fish has the red ear, but bluegill body markings and a yellowish breast, its likely a gill/cracker hybrid... Etc etc.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
The redears, are they the only one with that marking? (unless it is a hybrid)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts