Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I sent my Vex to Jenny Craig.
70 percent weight loss, it went from 10 lbs to 3 lbs.
I was tired of leaving the Vex at home to some of these Colorado "hike in" lakes.
Vexilars customer service told me that the FL18 draws 250-275 mA pe hour. I bought a 6000 mAh Li-ion battery pack (6 amp) https://www.amazon.com/Talentcell-Rechargeable-6000mAh-Battery-Portable/dp/B00MF70BPU for $30 I figure it should last 20 hours. I picked up a soft sided lunch pack from Walmart for ~$8 to put it in.
I am anxious to try it out.
(thanks Koldkut for the incentive)

Before

After

Battery Pack

Open for business.

Internals

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
being as electronically challenge as I am do you need a special cord to attach to your vex or can you make it yourself?
I just had to clip the wire and crimp on some male spade terminals on. The wires are black and red so it is really easy.

really digging the ingenuity, and the beer. And with the color of that lunch box, guaranteed against theft. Winning.
Yeah, that was all I could find. I really wanted a "My Little Mermaid" or a "Hello Kitty" one!:biggrin1::biggrin1:

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried it out today and was very happy with it. I fished for 6 hours and only used 25% of the battery (according to the 4 little lights on it):thumb::thumb::thumb:
It also will fit nicely in the bottom of my Pro Pack if I'm pulling a sled.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
I still have my mission in the back of my head for this, I feel like it'll be a forgotten summer project though.

I woke from a dream a week ago and was like, mutha Effer, I have those damned packs.....

Granted, not re-chargable, but still 12v. I like the rechargable idea better.
https://www.amazon.com/CO-RODE-Battery-Holder-Wired-Switch/dp/B00VE7HBMS/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1518535928&sr=1-3&keywords=12v+AA

I also have an idea that those other vex holders are large enough that the vex won't take a hole dive if the line wraps the ducer and the fish gets on a run.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Tom, thanks for the tip. This battery is a fourth of the weight of the original flasher battery. Great for hole hopping!
Mike (dropshot)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did a little tweaking on it to make it more user friendly. It was a little loose in the lunch bag. I made a bracket out of aluminum and put some self adhesive velcro between that and the battery. A lot more stable and I can adjust the angle on the Vex.
I bought a Plano 3500 box that I may end up putting the battery in just to keep it a little more water tight. I'll put velcro on top of that too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts