Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sitting here bored in class thinking about fishing- what's new? Anyways, I'm hoping to get to Vegas to visit some family and while I'm there I'd like to hit up Pyramid Lake. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with fishing it. If so, what was it like? I believe the fishing season is October through June. Is there anything I should know? Any tips or anything else? It's like a nine hour drive but it's definitely worth it in my mind. I would probably bring spinning, fly and casting gear but any specific gear that would up my chances would be greatly appreciated. Really stoked...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I saw a YouTube of a guy using spinning gear there for the lahontuan cutthroats. Or however you say it. He was using micro tubes if I remember correctly. Yeah that sounds like a ton of fun man. Good luck

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw a YouTube of a guy using spinning gear there for the lahontuan cutthroats. Or however you say it. He was using micro tubes if I remember correctly. Yeah that sounds like a ton of fun man. Good luck
I've watched probably every video there is on the lake. Been wanting to fish it for a long time. Biggest cuttys in the world as far as I know...

·
Registered
16,685 Posts
We were gonna hit it several years ago. But the size of the cutts ain't nothing like it used to be. I can catch larger cutts in Colorado or Wyoming. And I dont need a ladder!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We were gonna hit it several years ago. But the size of the cutts ain't nothing like it used to be. I can catch larger cutts in Colorado or Wyoming. And I dont need a ladder!
It's true that it's not what it used to be but I have been paying close attention to what's been coming out if there lately and it's been pretty impressive. I think the last couple years it has been getting better. Like last month a guy caught a twenty pounder. Considering the Co state record is like sixteen, I'd love to see that! And you can fish it however you want. I don't know how cold it will be but I might try to float it.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
I fished it back in 1959, at that time you needed an Indian license and we could rent ladders. it was open to fishing year around at that time, I don't remember the cost but it was high to us. we spent all day and caught nothing and only saw 1 fish caught, about a 3 pounder. as I remember it doesn't freeze over but it has some ice in late winter and is subject to high wind. if I was in vegas I wouldn't make the drive, I would fish the river below the dam for strippers up to 50 lbs

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Pyramid is north east of Reno, a long ass drive from Vegas. Big fish though, Walker Lake is 3 hours closer to Vegas.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Fished it late last April. Definitely a place where the bite can shut down and stay down for up to a week at a time. Hit it right, and you could likely have the best fishing day of your life. Full moons are supposedly bad, which is when I hit it. One guiding service called it the worst fishing week of the year :p. I didn't have a ladder and don't find it completely necessary, just nice instead of standing all day. Lots of fish in the 19-21 inch range, obviously monsters are present and I hear December is a good time for quality over quantity. As you would expect, wind, clouds, and a drop in pressure is very advantageous. Try a little of everything so you have no regrets, but PLEASE throw some swimbaits for a bit and let me know what happens, I feel like that is not tried enough there. 20 pound cutts aren't getting to that size eating chironimids and leeches....Good luck!!

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
walker lake was always better for me, but that was 55 years ago. my favorite lure was a copper lure with red, green, yellow dots, I don't think it is made anymore

1 - 15 of 15 Posts