Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the fish that were caught in this video were caught on a fly rod with a sinking line and a black Chan’s Las Vegas booby. You can see the fly in the second clip. Floating flies with sinking lines are huge at pyramid...so are balanced streamers under indicators. Apparently the fish love when you’re stripping along the bottom and pause to allow your fly to slowly flutter up. One of my fish came when I missed the hit and let the fly sit for a sec. she came back and nailed it!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
"balanced streamers under indicators" sounds interesting; never tried that.

I used to have that place on my bucket list, but then I saw pics of the shores lined with people on step ladders... How busy is it there?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
"balanced streamers under indicators" sounds interesting; never tried that.

I used to have that place on my bucket list, but then I saw pics of the shores lined with people on step ladders... How busy is it there?
There are a couple beaches that can be like that but the lake is gigantic and a lot of the time I was completely by myself, even at the popular spots.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
b.reelz-“balanced streamers under indicators" sounds interesting; never tried that.

The balanced streamer thing and the floating streamer on sinking line thing are super, super popular at pyramid but I don’t know if I’ve ever heard anyone bring them up in any other context-it’s weird. Maybe once or twice but the first time I had ever heard of those two things was studying pyramid and those types of flies are just crazy dominant over there. I think they’re super legit techniques that need to be popularized more elsewhere. I can’t wait to fish the same Chan’s Vegas booby or popcorn beetle this spring from the toon for South Park trout. I’m sure the streamers will be killer, too.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Nice! That looks epic. I just went down the Wikipedia rabbit hole learning about Lahontan Cutthroats and Pyramid Lake. Adding it to the bucket list for sure right below Lake Thingvellir in Iceland. Much more accessible also :)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice! That looks epic. I just went down the Wikipedia rabbit hole learning about Lahontan Cutthroats and Pyramid Lake. Adding it to the bucket list for sure right below Lake Thingvellir in Iceland. Much more accessible also
I’ve made the drive three times by myself now in the last two years and it honestly isn’t bad. I stopped for gas two or three times and that was it. No lodging on the way.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Camping is allowed basically anywhere on the lake which is cool, too. As long as you have a permit, you can camp pretty much anywhere except for a small number of marked off spots. All the fireworks that arent sold here are legal on tribal lands so you can buy bottle rockets and stuff from the marina and laund them from the beach at night. It’s really an awesome fishery. I can only imagine if I lived close to it. I’d have so many big cutties to show off. Colorado livin definitely beats northern Nevada, though.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They’ll willingly hit swimbaits at times which is awesome. Although, they seemed to want the sbs more in the spring from my experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts