Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my dad thought it was going to be packed today since everyone had the day off, so we got up at about 6. We went to Walmart to get our fishing licenses. We got to the lake at about 745. We started fishing at the dock. I threw my poles out then my dad threw his. I bet it wasnt 1 min after my dad started reeling in a fish. It was a little fat 10 incher. we threw him back. Then about 10 min later i got 1 that was about 14. Soon after that I got 3 more at 12-14 in. Fishing was hot til about 9 then action stopped til 1. At about 1030 i hooked into a NICE fish. I saw it come up, and i was too lazy to go get the net. Then, i lift him out of the water then bam sheds it off. He was a nice 17 or 18 in. fish. Suprisingly. Then some guy saw us catch fish, and anybody whos fished quail knows how small the docks are. He brings his 3 kids over, crosses over our lines, Smokes(Which Buggs the absolute crap out of me) And then looks at me and my dad like we were doing something wrong. His kids were sooo anoying and loud. Then he left. Right away another kid we always see there comes on. I have no problem with him. He catches a little 10 inch and then right after my dad lands a nice 15 incher. When the kid leaves then a mother and son with 6 poles(thats right 6 poles) comes over and fishes right where me and my dad are. They of course cross our lines multiple times and yet again look at us like we were wrong. And people, me and my dads line wasnt 3 feet apart from eachother, thats how far we got pushed. Sorry for my complaining, i just wanted a relaxing day, not a day with punks. But anyways back to the fishing ::)The fish dont fight. Plain and simple. In fact, i kept my finger on the line and still didnt feel them bite. But when i real in, it gets heavy then you can see the fish on the other end. It was just wierd. We ended up coming home with 6 fish and cooked them up for dinner tonight. Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Here is how I fix the crossed line problem... I reel it into where it was crossed and cut their line... I then apologies and confess I was trying to cut my own, my bad. The next time Ooooops I got yours again drat the luck. The third time they usually get the hint and leave.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
What were you guys using as bait?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Fishing Quail is like going to a amusement park. Its not real, so don't expect real people.
Its as much to fishing as life is like watching prime time television.
I love fishing. I don't fish Quail. Its better go for a nice walk up one of Colorado Springs parks/trails and then buy some fish.
You will be relaxed and still eat well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
fished quail lake last night before dark. Caught one little stocker with a minnow tipped w/pink pbait. Fished for about 25 minutes then left as the wind picked up.

People who don't fish often, fish quail lake. I think for the most part, they don't know the difference. I like to fish along east riprap; that way people have to be intentionally stupid to get in my way.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thats too bad. I guess morons are everywhere...even at the lakes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Its funny how this lake has gotten so bad. A few years ago, no one fished there (before the drought). As i drove by there today (i work accross the street from the lake), i noticed that there is no more ice and the 1st dock looks like it got pushed by the wind back to the shore.

I'd recomend staying off the docks, i dont see them helping much. I used to fish it every day after work while waiting for trafic to die down and caught plenty without the docks installed.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Where is this lake...so I'll know to stay away

·
Registered
117 Posts
quail lake is just off Cheyenne Mtn Blvd west Venetucci & Cheyenne Mtn Blvd intersection. (about 30 seconds west of Tinseltown)

I dont know why so many knock quail lake. IMO The view is great, for the most part its clean, and the fishing is always good. Like any small city park, it has its drawbacks. I personally like to take a float tube, start at the east side of the lake and drift a float tube all the way across the lake. What a fun time!

·
Registered
294 Posts
You should have just told them to stay out of your way.

You also should have told the mom and son with 6 poles that they were breaking the law.

Don't be afraid to stand up for your self, good maners and the law.

I fish Chatfield mostly and have had numerous run ins with idiots.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Furthermore...it is always good to start with a firm poke in the chest followed by a 'You Idiot!' (noticed the 'I' in idiot is capitalized out of respect).

Seriously though, what has been said is entirely true. I too live in the Springs and while Quail and Pikeview are close and a quick fix it seems that sometimes both would be funner at midnight in a blizzard. Kinda like driving up I-25 each morning.

With time and effort both can be a great get-away though....I guess what I'm saying is the proper mindset can carry far in these places...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts