Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Quail Lake on Easter Sunday. Got there around 11:30 a.m. and stayed till just before 2 pm. I threw castmasters at them and pistol pete flies at them to no avail. I finally tied on a old olive leach I had tied up years ago and got a hit but lost him just a few second later (I probably didn't set the hook well or the hook tip might be a little dull). Then there was nothing after that till I tied on a red fly and got a second hook up but again lost him soon after the hook set was done. But it was good. I had a lot of fun. It felt good to get back out to a lake and fishing again. But I need to find a little camera to take with me to the lakes when I'm fishing. I did see a Blue Heron there at the lake and really wished I had my SLR with me to take its picture.

Oh and both flies were attached to a clear bobber filled half way with water jut to help get the flies out a distance.

Thanks
Jim

W

·
0 Posts
Right on. The kids and I have hammered perch from shore there before, but that was 3 years ago.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I always wonder about these local fishin' holes around here. They are a bit more enticing with the price of gas these days. Lately I've hit Pikeview and the Willow Springs ponds(just the bigger one). Stocker trout are easy top get in both places, but I've been trying for bigger fare. I've heard there are Tiger Muskies in Pikeview, and know for a fact that there is at least one big wiper and some Large mouth in the Willow Springs pond. I was going to try Quail the other day, but I would've needed a shoe horn to squeeze into a spot along the shore. I will try it in the future when I see less of a crowd.
If you ever get down into the Security/Fountain area there could be some good photo opportunities for you as there are alot of Herons there. Always enjoy your posts and pictures.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Captain America said:
Right on. The kids and I have hammered perch from shore there before, but that was 3 years ago.
Long time since I've fished perch. Used to when I was younger... never on flies though before.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh perch, bluegill and/or crappie on a flie is so much fun. I used to to use a little 2 wt fly rod when fishing for them. That was so much fun. I might have to give it a try again someday.

The only pond at Willow that I fished at was with my grandson and he was tearing up the little bluegill on worms an a bobber. That was a real hoot. I enjoyed it very much. I live about 5 minutes from Willow Ponds and yes there are lots of places for nice pictures. What I'm trying to find is where they are nesting at now a days. The used to nest south of the Fountain Creek Nature Center years ago till they started doing some type of construction down there and they all moved. I haven't found where they moved to yet. A big "thank you" on liking my pictures and posts. Hopefully I will get out again this weekend to take a look around.

Thank you
Jim

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RVinson said:
Sounds like fun jim!! You get a chance to use your new camper?
It was a lot of fun Ricky. I need to do that more often.

Yes my friend and I took the camper to the MRA Race School and it did wonderful. It kept us dry and warm just like I wanted from it. I also took it to Colordo City (south of Pueblo) and camped out for a weekend in it and it does a great job. Funny thing is both times I have had it out it rained/snowed. Maybe I should go camping more often then we can get out of this drought. :eek:)

But I'm totally happy that I got the camper and it is doing fantastic.
Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts