Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit Quail Lake with a buddy at about noon today. My buddy caught 2 fish right away on some spinner with a fishhead looking body. I was fishless for about an hour while my friend continued to get hits and the occational hook up. We were just down from the parking lot by the dam. I moved onto the dam and the fun really started. I caught several RB's and Cuttbows off the dam,all but one were around 14" and fat,brought in one Bow that was 16-17" and had a kipe (hooked jaw)!My buddy joined me on the dam and he started hooking up with mondo (for Quail anyway) fish. All the fish were within 3 feet of the riprap,I was casting parallel to the dam using a yellow #6 Panther Martin with a silver blade,when I would get a hit or a follow but no hookup I would throw a black rooster tail and that would bring in those reluctant fish. This is the first time in 8 yrs that I've fished Quail. I work right across the street,it see it everyday. Wind was brutal but if I'm catching fish,so what if I get chapped lips! Several guys moved onto the dam but thankfully they didnt crowd us,they were bait fishing and seemed to be catching smaller fish. Spoons were working too from what other fishermen told me. It was a fun day close to home. Might bring my flyrod if its not too windy next time.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts