1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
From the limited info I can find it looks to be an 8 weight, but I wouldnt want you buying it based on my opinion regarding size.

I have owned an STH reel and they are pretty decent ( it had a very good dic drag), but why not look at something like the Lamson Konic or Redington Surge for a touch more money and brand new?

Bidding is @ $105 with two hours to go as I post , so I bet it hits the $150.00 mark.

Is there something special I am missing with this particular reel??

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the limited info I can find it looks to be an 8 weight, but I wouldnt want you buying it based on my opinion regarding size.

I have owned an STH reel and they are pretty decent ( it had a very good dic drag), but why not look at something like the Lamson Konic or Redington Surge for a touch more money and brand new?

Bidding is @ $105 with two hours to go as I post , so I bet it hits the $150.00 mark.

Is there something special I am missing with this particular reel??
with the 2 spools i thought i could spool with 8 and 10 and only take one reel. less weight and don't need to buy 2 complete reels.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$140.28 with shipping..
thanks for your input. my reasoning was 2 reels for the price of one. we will be on a raft for 10 days. camping each day in a new spot except for 2 layovers. thus I will be running one rod on the boat at a time. then pull over to fish or camp for a more specific run, thus really again only needing one rod. Meaning if the pod is Kings, the 10 will be out. Weight is an issue to get on the plane. I think this reel will work!

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Doubt two reels would cause a weight problem on the plane. I get the whole money thing and two spools etc. Sounds like a great trip.

·
Registered
883 Posts
thanks for your input. my reasoning was 2 reels for the price of one. we will be on a raft for 10 days. camping each day in a new spot except for 2 layovers. thus I will be running one rod on the boat at a time. then pull over to fish or camp for a more specific run, thus really again only needing one rod. Meaning if the pod is Kings, the 10 will be out. Weight is an issue to get on the plane. I think this reel will work!
If you are worried about one reel putting you over weight, then you are bringing enough beer! :biggrin1:

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are worried about one reel putting you over weight, then you are bringing enough beer! :biggrin1:
excellent point. Just trying to cut as much weight anywhere we can. Once in Bethal, we fly to the lake. We will need 3 small planes to get all or gear and us there. If we go over weight as a group we will need the little cub for a 4th trip in. The weather can be questionable, thus a potentially small window to fly in. So we are all looking to cut where we can.

"Doubt two reels would cause a weight problem on the plane. I get the whole money thing and two spools etc. Sounds like a great trip".

Hey Tom, Should be a great trip. Dollys, Grayling, big bows and lots of salmon. The kings should be in. 10 days on the river with me and 8 buddies. Self guided trip. Pretty cool

·
Registered
592 Posts
Late to the party here...for that price range you should look into the Echo Ion reels...

·
Registered
592 Posts
That line of flyrods looks pretty interesting too, though I've never cast nor seen them in person.
I was actually just holding an Echo Carbon 4wt yesterday, pretty darn good quality for the price, and I've only heard good things about how their rods perform...

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I was actually just holding an Echo Carbon 4wt yesterday, pretty darn good quality for the price, and I've only heard good things about how their rods perform...
Thanks! I'm looking/thinking about a 7 or 8 weight for South Park Lakes. Don't really care about finesse, I want something with punch to throw streamers into a wind.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Thanks! I'm looking/thinking about a 7 or 8 weight for South Park Lakes. Don't really care about finesse, I want something with punch to throw streamers into a wind.
You got a stronger casting arm than I do, When it gets windy, i switch to spin gear.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I picked up a 9'6 7wt Redington Link on Camofire a while back for 50% off, love it. They still have them on there occasionally but I'm not sure about what weights they have left, you can email them to ask.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
You got a stronger casting arm than I do, When it gets windy, i switch to spin gear.

Trying something different Fordo. I do usually switch to the spinning, but I tried leaving it at home a few weeks ago up in South Park, didn't get anything to write home about on that trip, but even with my 5 weight piling up at the feet of my waders I managed a few, just thought something with some more punch might get my casts out past the end of my rod in gale force winds lol...

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I picked up a 9'6 7wt Redington Link on Camofire a while back for 50% off, love it. They still have them on there occasionally but I'm not sure about what weights they have left, you can email them to ask.

Thanks Luke. I've considered the Redington's and the TFO bvk series also.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts