1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
From the limited info I can find it looks to be an 8 weight, but I wouldnt want you buying it based on my opinion regarding size.

I have owned an STH reel and they are pretty decent ( it had a very good dic drag), but why not look at something like the Lamson Konic or Redington Surge for a touch more money and brand new?

Bidding is @ $105 with two hours to go as I post , so I bet it hits the $150.00 mark.

Is there something special I am missing with this particular reel??

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the limited info I can find it looks to be an 8 weight, but I wouldnt want you buying it based on my opinion regarding size.

I have owned an STH reel and they are pretty decent ( it had a very good dic drag), but why not look at something like the Lamson Konic or Redington Surge for a touch more money and brand new?

Bidding is @ $105 with two hours to go as I post , so I bet it hits the $150.00 mark.

Is there something special I am missing with this particular reel??
with the 2 spools i thought i could spool with 8 and 10 and only take one reel. less weight and don't need to buy 2 complete reels.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$140.28 with shipping..
thanks for your input. my reasoning was 2 reels for the price of one. we will be on a raft for 10 days. camping each day in a new spot except for 2 layovers. thus I will be running one rod on the boat at a time. then pull over to fish or camp for a more specific run, thus really again only needing one rod. Meaning if the pod is Kings, the 10 will be out. Weight is an issue to get on the plane. I think this reel will work!

·
Registered
883 Posts
thanks for your input. my reasoning was 2 reels for the price of one. we will be on a raft for 10 days. camping each day in a new spot except for 2 layovers. thus I will be running one rod on the boat at a time. then pull over to fish or camp for a more specific run, thus really again only needing one rod. Meaning if the pod is Kings, the 10 will be out. Weight is an issue to get on the plane. I think this reel will work!
If you are worried about one reel putting you over weight, then you are bringing enough beer! :biggrin1:

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are worried about one reel putting you over weight, then you are bringing enough beer! :biggrin1:
excellent point. Just trying to cut as much weight anywhere we can. Once in Bethal, we fly to the lake. We will need 3 small planes to get all or gear and us there. If we go over weight as a group we will need the little cub for a 4th trip in. The weather can be questionable, thus a potentially small window to fly in. So we are all looking to cut where we can.

"Doubt two reels would cause a weight problem on the plane. I get the whole money thing and two spools etc. Sounds like a great trip".

Hey Tom, Should be a great trip. Dollys, Grayling, big bows and lots of salmon. The kings should be in. 10 days on the river with me and 8 buddies. Self guided trip. Pretty cool

·
Registered
592 Posts
Late to the party here...for that price range you should look into the Echo Ion reels...

·
Registered
592 Posts
That line of flyrods looks pretty interesting too, though I've never cast nor seen them in person.
I was actually just holding an Echo Carbon 4wt yesterday, pretty darn good quality for the price, and I've only heard good things about how their rods perform...

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I was actually just holding an Echo Carbon 4wt yesterday, pretty darn good quality for the price, and I've only heard good things about how their rods perform...
Thanks! I'm looking/thinking about a 7 or 8 weight for South Park Lakes. Don't really care about finesse, I want something with punch to throw streamers into a wind.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Thanks! I'm looking/thinking about a 7 or 8 weight for South Park Lakes. Don't really care about finesse, I want something with punch to throw streamers into a wind.
I picked up a 9'6 7wt Redington Link on Camofire a while back for 50% off, love it. They still have them on there occasionally but I'm not sure about what weights they have left, you can email them to ask.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
You got a stronger casting arm than I do, When it gets windy, i switch to spin gear.

Trying something different Fordo. I do usually switch to the spinning, but I tried leaving it at home a few weeks ago up in South Park, didn't get anything to write home about on that trip, but even with my 5 weight piling up at the feet of my waders I managed a few, just thought something with some more punch might get my casts out past the end of my rod in gale force winds lol...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.