the white bass and the wiper are hitting shrimp
and well they are very hungry
i cought 6 smallest was 3 lb and the biggest was 8 lb

oh and the cats were biting saw a real nice 13 lb one
and a bunch of smaller ones

·
Registered
104 Posts
good morning kats what part of the state or which queens lake were you fishing i fish one down south east south of eads colo, could that be the one.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Fishingcats what time did you start fishing? Was there any wind. I went out there 2 weeks ago and it was not a good trip. I caught a 3 lb wiper and my buddy caught 2 wipers and one cat. Seems like when i go to that lake and theres no wind theres no fish. Not to mention the 2.65 a gallon gas on the way home lol. Did u see all the dead crap laying on land every where?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes thats it the one s e colorado

yes the wind was blowing it has been blowing for about 2 weeks now or so it seems

yes this winter was hard on alot of fish lots didnt make it
but there are alot still in there and ready to eat

·
Registered
67 Posts
In years past, I fished Nee Gronde and found a bunch of carp dead on the road west of Cottonwood. Does anybody know if the carp are there because of a flooding condition or what? UFO's!? ???

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i went out again and caught some more wiper they were nice caught about 14

bad news though dow was out there and well deepest spot is about 3 1/2 feet deep so they said it isnt going to last
thats they might have to do a salvage on the lake

·
Banned
487 Posts
fishingkats said:
well i went out again and caught some more wiper they were nice caught about 14

bad news though dow was out there and well deepest spot is about 3 1/2 feet deep so they said it isnt going to last
thats they might have to do a salvage on the lake

I certainley hope they do a good job salvaging. Is the lake just terribly low from drought still?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well sat i went out about 10 didnt catch anything till 12
used shrimp stayed out for about 9 hours caught about 6

sun i went out in the morning and my brother caught 5 was there about 7 till 10

tue went out all day and i do mean all day caught 14
and the best bites came at dusk they would just grab it and run it was fun but i had to go so didnt know if they were still biting after dark

fished the bottom most of the day but they do bite when you pick it up off of the bottom with a bobber

if you go they are all over in close and out far so just keep looking everywhere there are some real nice ones still in there saw a few break lines out there

and for those who want to fish rattle traps and jigs well saw alot of people try but have yet to see some one catch one on it

did see some one catch one reeling in to see if they had bait it followed it all the way in and didnt bite till the shore
oh yes west side boat ramp you can fish the other side but a pain to do

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Thanks for the info. You must live right by there, if i decide to go i have to drive 3 hours. Queen is one of my favorite lakes i just didnt do to good last year. My first trip there about twts o weeks ago i only got one wiper. Its a bummer man driving home from there with one fish.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes live in lamar and there were more people from out of town then from around this area
was nice to see some new faces and talk to some new people
lots from denver was amazed how many came down to fish queens

when you fish queens you need to be able to throw out a long ways so make sure you bring the right kinda poles and weights most that came down were ready to throw jigs
most of the fish are far from shore not saying all of them but most seem to be far

·
Registered
440 Posts
re: FISH SALVAGE

Queens Reservoirs - Lower Queens is totally dry and Upper Queens may be heading that way.

The lake is so shallow (less than 3 feet deep) a public fish salvage will be ordered later this spring.

There is a silver lining however. Low water levels caused the reservoir to warm up quickly this spring, producing some very good fishing for wipers and white bass. Anglers fishing with shrimp have been taking liberal 20-fish limits regularly. The lake also holds saugeyes, crappie and catfish. The boat ramp is far from the water and a few vehicles have been stuck trying to launch boats along the muddy shoreline. Find a firm spot before you attempt it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts