Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine and i have been planning a hiking/fishing trip for about the last six months but have yet to decide on a location. I am fairly new to Colorado so so if anyone has a recomendation of an area that would provide some good fishing where we could hike in and away from the weekenders and such. We are looking to kill about 7-10 days starting next week so hiking distance is fairly relative. And from what i understand the farther away you get the better the fishing. Just looking for some friendly info. Thanks All,
Zack Schaefer

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I would refer you to this site: http://www.resourceanalysis.com/ It has alot of lakes and trails and distances listed so you can plan your trip with the distance in mind. Now remember hiking at 9000 ft + is alot different then hiking at 6000 ft.
There are some other locations besides these that are great hiking /fishing locations was there other areas you were interested in, might help people suggest.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i would check out the gore range in summit county( and not because i live here )but because there are bunches of lakes and streams to fish and catch lots of big good fishso theres my freindly advice
eric aka bigbrown

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys hopefully ill have some pictures in the next few weeks. ePiC, dont worry about me i live at 7200 feet and have spent some time above 10,000 hiking. My buddy on the other hand might have some problems ;).
Thanks Again,
ZAck

·
Registered
90 Posts
What about the Snowmass Wilderness Area? I know there are many remote lakes in Elk Range, but have no idea how the fishing is in them. Also, the area has miles and miles of trails over beatiful passes, rivers, and past lakes. An old climbing partner of mine and his wife did a 5 day hike in the Snowmass Wilderness Area and loved it. He told me that they saw no one the entire trip.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Cant forget Rocky Mountain National Park too.

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
RMNP is cool but the restrictions are a PITA!Also you have to apply for permits to camp and need a permit to park at the trailheads!

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
Hey BB - My back started hurtin after that death hike in the gores.Its killin me as I type.Been to the doc and itll get better,then some more high lakes!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Slayer,
I looked into the flat tops wilderness are like you said around trappers lake and that area seems to be what i am looking for. so i think we might go that way. One question, what is the snow like around there. I was up in the Snowy Range a few days ago (southern wyoming since i live in laramie) and i couldnt even get to the high lakes that i normally fish. I would hate to plan a trip and then not be able to get to where we wanted to go.

·
Registered
296 Posts
hey slayer i didnt think you were gonna do it in one day i know that was brutal we are gonna have to make a weekend trip sos that we can make it to the top lake. now that one we are gonna have to take our wheaties on

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
Hey BB - My back started hurtin after that death hike in the gores.Its killin me as I type.Been to the doc and itll get better,then some more high lakes!
Thats a sign of old age mang.

Hiking is a very active activity you should properly strectch especially if your are doing a hard hike (steep grades or a long distance) all at once. Drink plenty of water. I would also start doing some hiking before I went on a big hike to get yourself ready. (Being out of shape sucks)

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
I'd already done approx.42 miles of altitude hiking(10k+) in the month prior to this one. I guess it was the 12 tons of rock I shoveled in 3 evenings in the backyard or the 6 feet deep by 6 feet wide hole I dug to fix a problem with my well in the 2 weeks prior to the hike that really caused the problem!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I bet that had to factor in there some where.... I was just teasing you anyways. :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts