Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas-
I'm going to be forced (long story) to spend this Saturday at Spinney Res. and have never fly fished anything other than moving water or high alpine lakes. I'm wondering if a guy could even catch fish from shore this time of year at Spinney? And if so, what flies would you advise me to try? Thanks for any help you can give me as I have no earthly idea how to fly fish a big reservoir. Doug

·
Registered
22 Posts
spinney shore fishing

From shore I would try the NE corner of the dam to avoid the weeds and have access to deeper water near shore. Suspend large lake midges/emergers at 8ft and cast out far enough to keep the flies off the bottom/out of the weeds. fish early or late to have larger fish cruising the shallows. The shallow flats near the inlets should start being good for pike if you are interested.

·
Registered
216 Posts
There may be a callibaetis hatch going on and possible damsel as it already started at Antero. Park at the first pulloff and walk to north bay and look for risers. Tie on a #12 Adams and calli cripple and get bit.. 10-12 should be prime.. Report back..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts