Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent quite a few hours at one of my favorite walleye lakes last night, I have been there twice this week but last night they started blowing up right next to shore. I tossed everything from jerks to grubs and swimbaits and one dink but other that not a single hit. Question is how many nights its it gonna be like this? Do they got ever this period gradually or is it a over a night or few days. I know what temp has a big role as well. Thanks for any info

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
You still have a good month to go. I think you weren't jerking that jerk right, or possibly jerking too much if the fish were there and you weren't getting them.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
You can have fish in pre spawn, spawn and post spawn all right now. The ones in full spawn will not eat and that may be what you were fishing to. It's awesome to watch wallow in the shallows getting their groove on, but those fish have other things on their mind. Once done they will be there with the feed bag on. Sounds like you have a spot and it can turn on any minute. Keep at it.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Most of the walleye won't be eating...What you'll be getting is almost entirely territorial strikes..Hence why the pause works so well...even very long pauses. They'll be clearing the area of anything that represents competition..or is deemed a threat.

Check out the stomach and intestinal track on those walleyes you keep. Everything in there has shriveled down to nothing. All they have on their minds is spawning..

After the spawn it will take a while before they really put on the feedbag...the spawn takes a lot out of them and they don't just rush out and go on a feeding binge...

Just what I've seen over the years..others may have a difference of opinion.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
You can have fish in pre spawn, spawn and post spawn all right now. The ones in full spawn will not eat and that may be what you were fishing to. It's awesome to watch wallow in the shallows getting their groove on, but those fish have other things on their mind. Once done they will be there with the feed bag on. Sounds like you have a spot and it can turn on any minute. Keep at it.
What Travis said.!!

Don't be afraid to fish aggressive some also. They feel your bait before they see it. I tend to fish faster than most. Just mix it up!

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
When erratic jerking fails......I've had success just slow reeling a big smithwick with occasional pauses......gotta try it all when they are tight lipped.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
When erratic jerking fails......I've had success just slow reeling a big smithwick with occasional pauses......gotta try it all when they are tight lipped.
Yep I have seen Zman do the same thing with floating Raps. Doing the same thing all night long is stupid! Mix it up!

·
Registered
385 Posts
wow the OG's on the site being helpful?? No one bashing a 44 post guy for asking tips. No "figure it out for yourself,... put in the time,... go phu(k yourself"?? WHAT THE HELL IS THE WORLD COMING TOO??!!! Really disappointed in you guys;)

·
Registered
461 Posts
wow the OG's on the site being helpful?? No one bashing a 44 post guy for asking tips. No "figure it out for yourself,... put in the time,... go phu(k yourself"?? WHAT THE HELL IS THE WORLD COMING TOO??!!! Really disappointed in you guys;)
Go phuk yourself.....

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
LMAO, said new guy also isn't just posting with, "where did you get those fish bro".

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you everyone for all the info it will help. I plan on hitting it again tonight after work. Hopefully I will find the right kinda motion tonight, I went to lake again last night just to walk the dogs and the eyes were at it again with some bigger fish jumping 20 yrds from the shoreline.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Some good responses. I am surprised you are asking this, Mike...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I know how to fish for them most of the time (AOFISHER) but for some reason I cant get consistent results this year. I have had over 20 skunk nights with a couple good nights in between. And the last few days have been getting to me watching them splash right next to the bank for hours and nothing to show for it but experience I guess. I read article after article, I'm just seeing what others had to say, and thanks again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts