Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 16 foot trihull boat and i'm thinking about going to those lakes in north east in colorado.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Alot depends on how much experience you've had on windy lakes, how strong your TM is if you have one, are there coves you can fish in out of the wind. Personally 17 MPH doesn't sound like too much to me. Once you get over 20 is when it gets to be more trouble then its worth.

And alot of times some wind makes the fishing better.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
If you push the limits of your common sense, skills and equipment you may live to tell about it. Or, you might not. Don't ask me how I know. :-X

In my current boat, (Aluminum v-hull 19 foot 125 Merc) wind at 17mph is no problem. . .

The problem with a 17 mph wind forecast is that it doesn't account for local microbursts that can come through much higher and ruin your whole day. :(

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I have an 18 ft Deep V monark with a 90 HP and a 55 lb thrust motor.....when i was new to boating wind made me extremely uncomfortable but as I gained some experience I gained confidence and understood how my boat performs is windy situations.....17 mph would be some white caps and i would be ok using my big motor with the trolling place down......if it gets to 20 mph I find a cove and anchor in wait it out and then resume fishing.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
i have a 19 ft lowe with a 115 and a 80lb min kota
17 mph wind is ok
25 to 30 is comfortable but a pain to fish in
30 to 40 a pain but fishable
45 to 55 only fish it in a tourny
over 55 get a good book and wait till tomarrow
lightning get off the water

·
Registered
376 Posts
The problem with wind is it generates from the middle of the lake and blows outward finding the vortex is like finding the end of a rainbow. This is due to the splashing of the waves onto the shore changing the true center of the lake constantly. 17 mph should be no prob.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts