Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold a larger boat and now want to move down to a 14 ft boat (tiller prefferably). From my search I have noticed that they are not a deep v, the rear is flat. I dont plan on putting a gas motor on it, only a electic trolling motor. Possibly a 24v ..........Due to gas prices I plan on doing most of my fishing locally, Quincy, Aurora, Boyd etc. The question i Have

1) Are small boats safe considering I have a 5 year old?
2) Will the 24V trolling motor give ample power for high winds?
3) Should i move upto a 16 foot? If I do is it easy to load and unload places suck as quincy?
3) Any recommendations?

·
Registered
603 Posts
After a long walk out at night at lonetree, I'll never own an electric powered only boat again. My experience was in a 14 jon boat and a 12v 24lb thrust trolling motor with 2 adults. These Colorado winds can come up out of nowhere and be deadly. We had cross the entire lake with the wind at our backs ( surfing) and beach it. there was another person that did the same thing and he had a 14ft deep V with a 10hp motor. He eventually crossed back to the ramp as it got dark. We did't have that option as the winds were still pretty strong and I was not chancing it.

My reccomendation would be to get a good wide Deep V 16 ft with a minimum 25hp tiller.

You should be able to load this boat easily by yourself after some practice.

There are alot of them out there and at pretty reasonable prices.

My boat now is an old V17 tracker ( Non deep V) with a 60hp motor and it allows me to get off of a lake when I want to and have enough power to stay pointed into the wind when I need to. There are times I wish had a Deep V and I will get one some day, but this has worked great for the past few years. I can load and unload it in under 3 mins by myself.

Just one persons opinion.

Brett

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quincy can be a bear - no trailer wheels in the water at all - so weight is a problem, though a tilt trailer would be nice. Ever consider an inflatable such as
Zodiac? They are virtually unsinkable, most have solid floors and transom.
11ft is usually rated to 15hp, though the 24V electric would be ample. Don't plan on deflating for transport - doesn't work. Might take a look at the shop
around Ward Rd & 48th. Think they are DownRiver something. Good Luck..

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
As far as Quincy goes...it think a deep v would be too heavy to load and unload into the water by hand...the ramp itself is poorly placed on that lake...they need to dig it out deeper...i would check out those flatbottom jon boats...they are perfect for small urban lakes....you can mount a trolling motor on both the front and the back...they are very stable....two people can stand up at once and cast...heck you can even get one with a livewell! :)

Best place i know in tow for flatbottom jon boats...would be Bass Pro Shops....here is a link for that boat!

http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/index.cfm?boat=1879

:)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Quincy can be a bear - no trailer wheels in the water at all - so weight is a problem, though a tilt trailer would be nice. Ever consider an inflatable such as
Ahh Sorry, I didnt know the about the limitations at Quincy.
Brett

F

·
0 Posts
Yakatut- hope you find a good boat. I love your old boat. I fished out of a jon boat for years in New Mexico. Stable but you are done when the wind blows. My next boat was a 14' Lund, not really a "cartopper" but fairly small. Not very deep but it handled in the wind much better. Ran it with either electric or outboard depending on the lake. Never needed 24v and could generally fish 2 days without re-charging on a good deep cycle battery. THAT BOY NEEDS A BOAT!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im glad you like to boat Tim.....My son was just asking yesterda "when will that man bring back out boat"..............So i plan on making it up to him with a smaller but safe boat. Catch any fish on the new boat.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yakatut said:
I recently sold a larger boat and now want to move down to a 14 ft boat (tiller prefferably). From my search I have noticed that they are not a deep v, the rear is flat. I dont plan on putting a gas motor on it, only a electic trolling motor. Possibly a 24v ..........Due to gas prices I plan on doing most of my fishing locally, Quincy, Aurora, Boyd etc. The question i Have

1) Are small boats safe considering I have a 5 year old?
2) Will the 24V trolling motor give ample power for high winds?
3) Should i move upto a 16 foot? If I do is it easy to load and unload places suck as quincy?
3) Any recommendations?
i've used a 12ft jon to a 14ft semi V on waters the size of quincy and much preffered the 14semiV. it had a 24 volt rear, 12 volt front and also a25 johnson. saw plenty of use on cherry creek with no problems. eventually moved up to a 16' with 40hp mercury (i still have it and i'm a backtrolling wizard) it's my favorite rig. if i really want to catch walleye. i have a 18' fisher walleye rig for tourneys and big water. just some ideas as to what works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts