Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm heading up to chambers to try to go after some lake trout. The problem is I have a big bag of frozen suckers from jax and I don't know how to cut them up. Some are small only 2" long, some are big 6" long. Do I just fillett them like a regular fish? Do I just cout them in to chunks? Can I use the heads and tails? Thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Iam no where near an expert but what seems to work well is cutting them into strips. Making sure that there not much bigger than the tube jig [length or width] and doesnt affect its movement or ability to stay horizontal.

D

·
0 Posts
Hatchmaster said:
So I'm heading up to chambers to try to go after some lake trout. The problem is I have a big bag of frozen suckers from jax and I don't know how to cut them up.  Some are small only 2" long, some are big 6" long.  Do I just fillett them like a regular fish? Do I just cout them in to chunks? Can I use the heads and tails? Thanks!
You don't need a piece bigger than about 1/2 an inch wide and an inch long. Some people use pieces 1" square, but I wouldn't go any bigger than that. Basically you're looking for a piece just big enough to add some fresh meat scent to your jig. I like to take the bigger suckers, filet them, then cut the filets into strips about 1/2-3/4" wide, then cut the strips into pieces about an inch long. Hook them in one end, through the skin, meat side up.

T

·
0 Posts
if they are frozen, you local meat dept or fish dept at the grocery store should cut them for you on a bandsaw - if it came to that. go in the late evening when they are cleaning up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like what Co. Trout said the main thing is to make shure it still moves right in the water. Some times you have to trim it. I like to change it out every half hour.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Even frozen suckers cut pretty easily. I have three large ones frozen together right now, and I basically just widdle pieces off the whole clump.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
The meat seems pretty fragile, and comes off the hook easily, are you leaving a strip of skin on the meat? Or am I just doing it wrong?

Dan

D

·
0 Posts
Dan said:
The meat seems pretty fragile, and comes off the hook easily,  are you leaving a strip of skin on the meat? Or am I just doing it wrong?

Dan
Leave the skin attached to the meat and hook up through the skin and meat.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Dan said:
The meat seems pretty fragile, and comes off the hook easily,  are you leaving a strip of skin on the meat? Or am I just doing it wrong?

Dan
Oh, yeah.  I widdle off a piece with skin, fin, or bones in the meat, so I've got something to hold the meat together and hold the hook, too.

Lake trout haven't seemed to care whether I was offering any particular part of the sucker to them.  If it smells like and/or tastes lake sucker, it seems to work.  I've used the internal organs and caught lakers on it just as well. 

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ken Broeren said:
I thought 'widdle' was little kid speak for "pee"...I don't think that's what you meant, is it? ;)

Whittle is the word I think you're looking for...lol
Isn't that 7 dwarf song from Snow White--"Whittle While You Work?" :D

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ken Broeren said:
I thought 'widdle' was little kid speak for "pee"...I don't think that's what you meant, is it? ;)

Whittle is the word I think you're looking for...lol
Yeah, you pee on it to thaw pieces off the frozen sucker. That's what you do.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'm clearly not one of them.  I type faster than I think, and brain/finger disconnect = typos.

Some people are born editors.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
DanDANthefisherman said:
One more thing. If you keep getting hit and keep missing them, down size your tube jig. They are hitting the head of your tube when this happens.
                                   Dan
Or move to find the bigger fish. :p

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I like my sucker cut in strips 1/4 - 3/8 inch wide, one to two inches long, thicker meat on the hook end, tapering to skin on free end. Nice action that way. Sometimes I scale the fish first, it makes cutting the strip easier and I think it releases extra scent.

My dad and grandpa used to have jigs with two hooks that came off the front of the jig, and one out the back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts