Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
ok i want to know how small do they stock the wipers
because this sumer i have seen alot of little ones about 2-4 inch long ones do they stock them that small

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
HookNLine said:
Which warm-water fish spawn and reproduce on there own? Or do all of them except wipers.
Most do, and most hybrids dont. Wipers and Tiger Musky are hybrids that dont reproduce. But all the others will reproduce if the water tempatures are right and the lake bottom contains the right structure for them to do so.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
fishingkats said:
ok i want to know how small do they stock the wipers
because this sumer i have seen alot of little ones about 2-4 inch long ones do they stock them that small
They usually stock wiper as fry, about that size 2-4 inches. But white bass look the same as fry and will naturally reproduce if they are in the water system so you could also be seeing them.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a feeling you were going to answer my question epic thanks. You when we going to take you on jeopardy?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Saugeye are another hybrid that do not spawn on thier own successfully.  Hatchery stocking is necessary.  Though saugeye can spawn with walleye and saugers successfully.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
the thing that bugged me was why stock j-martin if there were letting water out

lots of fry in the river

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
the thing that bugged me was why stock j-martin if there were letting water out
That is one reason the DOW supposedly started stocking Saugeyes in irragation reservoirs...walleyes supposedly are more likely to swim downstream with water being let out than saugeyes are...that and I believe saugeyes can tolerate warmer and more turbid water...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Thats an interesting fact, i didnt know that...i dont think ive ever caught a Saugeye...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Zman was right about Saugeye! They also tend to roam shallow more than walleye's do supposably?

Walleye actually spawn successfully at Horsetooth and Carter Resevoirs.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've asked this question before and never got an answer,DO CUTTBOWS REPRODUCE?I know most hybrids dont,so i was wondering. it would also affect my harvest practices.

lyn

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
ClackaRam said:
yes to both questions, the rainbows from Mac do reproduce, and cutbows also reproduce. 
Hmm.. So what do you call a trout with both cutbow parents? Maybe, stutter the name? cuh cut bow? Woah.. Sorry, still in 1eyeReD land right now.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
as to cutbows reproducing, i think they may be close enough to be able to spawn but i cant seem to find and info for or against this does anyone have some sources or links to info on this?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Many hybrids make spawning runs, thats why they think Tiger Muskies are reproducing in some lakes up north. Its instinct.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Many hybrids spawn but it is a false spawn. They lay eggs, the males milt them but they are sterile. They go through a lot of work for nothing!

Dan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts