Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to Golden Gate State Park for the scenery and to do a little fishing with the family..... We noticed many small fish close to shore, so I gave one of the kids my pole with 2lb test, small bobber, and #12 hook. The kids started pulling out suckers immediately. All were about 4 - 5 in..... I decided to keep three of the suckers to try as cut bait tonight or tomorrow....However I have never used cut bait and would appreciate any info on how I would go about cutting the fish for bait, to use for cats at Barr Lake.
Report: Nobody was catching trout at the large pond that is close to the visitors center (I cannot remember the name of the pond), small trout were being caught at Dudes Fishing Hole.
Thanks for any info on cut bait you could provide me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I promise I am not a smart A$$.... but just cut 'em in half, put 'em on a circle hook, and then wait for mister CAT to eat 'em!!!!

TONY

·
Registered
123 Posts
I always use 1/2 - 1 oz. egg sinker with on top of a swivel. Attach a size 2-4 bait hook (i use eagle claw) and cut the bait in half for smaller fish or slice straight meat from larger fish.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
with baits that size i would use them whole on a slip sinker rig with just enough wieght to cast

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
well ... i used shad for my cut bait, i havent ever used sucker meat so i dont know if it works out the same. cuz i went to big mac the other week and neted about 10 5inch shad, if i have to cut them i would cut them into 3-4 chunks, if not the whole shabang. cuz that night i caught 4 cats on cut shad, 1 on a whole shad, not mentioning my 2 walleye on the whole shad(live).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts