Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i was using 8 lb p line. When i was catfishing on the bottom no problems. When i used the maribou jib 1/8 oz i was getting birds nets quite often. Pretty annoying. Whats the problem is the jig to light for the line?

Another question, is there a place i can get my waders patched up. I have a hole in it, i got pretty wet lol. I know i can do it myself but i dont have time between work and fishing.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I think you've already got the problem figured out. IMO 8 lb line is a little on the heavy side for 1/8th oz jigs. In addition to that I have found P-Line to have quite a bit of memory which only makes the problem worse. Try switching to a 4 or 6 lb line with less memory, I'd recommend the Sufix Siege. Just remember to lighten up your drag a bit. ;)

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Don Broeren said:
I think you've already got the problem figured out. IMO 8 lb line is a little on the heavy side for 1/8th oz jigs. In addition to that I have found P-Line to have quite a bit of memory which only makes the problem worse. Try switching to a 4 or 6 lb line with less memory, I'd recommend the Sufix Siege. Just remember to lighten up your drag a bit. ;)
8 lb is WAY heavy for 1/8 oz. anything. I would typically use 2 lb. Even 4 lb will limit your casting distance.

Of course, if you catch a snag, it's gone.... just the cost of doing business....

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I usually try to get away with 10lb Fireline (4lb diameter) if the area isn't snaggy? If it is I use 6lb Sensation. Sensation is usually one size less in diameter than the break strenght. It slao has less memory and stretch.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I use 8 lb Triliene XL all the time with my 1/8 oz jigheads. I never seem to have a problem. I use shimano reels with the super slow oscillating system, don't know if that has anything to do with it. Just make sure that you spool your reel correctly. I have spooled line wrong before and it doesn't matter what pound test you have your going to end up with bird nests.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
roth2000 said:
I use 8 lb Triliene XL all the time with my 1/8 oz jigheads.  I never seem to have a problem.  I use shimano reels with the super slow oscillating system, don't know if that has anything to do with it.  Just make sure that you spool your reel correctly.  I have spooled line wrong before and it doesn't matter what pound test you have your going to end up with bird nests.
LOL i dont think the reel was the problem i was using the slow oscillating system also shimano stella.
Got my line spooled at sportmens.
I dont have any problems with distance using 8lb line with a 1/8 oz jig either. Just the birds nets. Maybe i should just spool the line myself?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Line twist is not uncommon in spinning reels. I have thought about deep sixing several because of this. But the spinning reel is a necesary evil. I fish out of a boat and before I start fishing I will let all of my line out behind the boat. I will then reel it in with a pumping action and this removes all twist from the previous trip. Sound silly but it works great.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Don Broeren said:
I I'd recommend the Sufix Siege.
I also recommend that line. Best darn mono line I've ever used. You would have to try it to know what we mean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts