Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think soon I'm gonna make good on my threats to go to Williams Fork. I want to try to target pike for some of the day. I researched on the site and it appears that a tip up with 20-30lb mono not wire leader is the way to go. (Thank you TFB) How do you tie a quick strike rig? Do you just tie on the first treble and leave a long tag end to tie on the next? Do I tie the second on the bend of the first like when nymping?

Also how do you attach the black tip up line to the mono? Directly tie it together or should I use a swivel?

Thanks for the tips I hope to land my first pike!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I use snell knot for the first knot. Like you said leave a long extra at the end to tie the bottom hook. I tie the 2nd like I would any other hook or you can tie a snell knot there as well it doesnt really matter. Just try to make sure the hooks are facing the same way it will stream line your bait.

You can tie a nail knot but I use a swivel, the tipup I have is a jiggin tipup so sometimes I will put a tube or something on it, this makes it easier for me.

Good Luck, if you need any pictures or anymore deatil let me know I can post a pic or 2 of ones I have tied at home.

Here is a link on how to tie a snell: http://www.fish4fun.com/snell.htm

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
ePiC has you on the right track with the knots. As far as line goes, 20-30lbs is too much for me. I have caught my biggest pike (41") on 8lbs thru the ice....just remember to fight him longer so he gets tired....also when they want to run, let them go as long as they want.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
how bout them adjustabe quick strike rigs where you can adjust the space between the hooks, id like to learn hoe to make those easy

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Right forgot that part I think I tied mine with 10lb stren. Fish metabolisms are lower under the ice so they move slower... fight the fish dont horse him and be ready for a run or 2 or 3 when he sees the hole. You shouldnt lose much due to line breakage under the ice.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Don't use mono- florocarbon is much better (although mono is better than wire). Florocarbon is often a much more thin diameter, and is much tougher against abrasion. I have caught pike well with 12-60 pound floro leaders, but I have pretty much settled on 20 pound test stren high impact florocarbon as the best out there. I tie on a barrel swivel on the black tipup line and then put about a 2-3 ft leader of the florocarbon onto that. Then, I get a #8 gamakatsu trebel and slide it up the line. Then, I get another #8 gamakatsu trebel and tie it on. This is my quickstrike rig. You then get the bait, and hook one of the hooks (using two of the hooks) firmly around the tail section of the anchovie, and use the other hook (using two of the hooks) to hook in the head, through the eye of the anchovie. Crush the head somewhat between your thumbs. Then, put a small splitshot about a foot or so above that so it will sink. Use your vexilar and then put the anchovie 1 ft off of the bottom- no more, no less for best results.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TFB- So the first treble slides free on the line?

Also have you ever experimented with red trebles over normal ones?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
ya the first treble can slide freely up and down the line but it is buried in the bait so it doesn't move. I have not had enough experience with red trebels to know if they make any difference- I really have no idea to tell you the truth. I don't think it could hurt though.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have hears that the first treble should go in the dorsal area with the second in the tail. TFB does hooking the first in the head make a difference or is it personal preference?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I hook the one tied on the line to the head. I hook the free one near the tail. Hook them on opposite sides of the fish. I guess it probably doesn't make much of a difference, I just find the anchovies I use much tougher near the tail and in through the eye, and they stay on the hook better. Whatever it is- make sure the bait hangs roughly horizontally in the water. I've had better success this way.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Hatch I would worry about the top hook movement, the 2 hook placements are all you have holding the fish on. If your top hook is loose and slides up the line from the strike it has potential to not even be hookd on the fish, or if it slides down the line it has potential to be hooked in the same spot, or it can cause a stress point on your line causing it to break easier, or it can weaken the lower knot if slid wrong, or well the possibilities are endless. The quick strike rig has been around along time it is a pretty proven technique. When rigging I dont think it matters if you hook them in the head or in the dorsal fin as long as the bottom hook is hooked in the tail this will hold the bait in a natural position and that is what you want to look for.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
ePiC said:
Hatch I would worry about the top hook movement, the 2 hook placements are all you have holding the fish on. If your top hook is loose and slides up the line from the strike it has potential to not even be hookd on the fish, or if it slides down the line it has potential to be hooked in the same spot, or it can cause a stress point on your line causing it to break easier, or it can weaken the lower knot if slid wrong, or well the possibilities are endless. The quick strike rig has been around along time it is a pretty proven technique. When rigging I dont think it matters if you hook them in the head or in the dorsal fin as long as the bottom hook is hooked in the tail this will hold the bait in a natural position and that is what you want to look for.
hmmm epic I haven't had a problem at all with sliding or any stress areas in the line? It's worked well for me this year and ever since I started using it and it has caught some HUGE pike. I don't think you quite understand- the hook really isn't sliding much. Once it is hooked in the bait it stays there. You hook the pike with both trebles which is nice. I haven't had any problems but I can see where one can think that it would be a problem- but in practice it isn't. Basically what I am using is a quick strike rig- it's the same concept.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
TroutFishingBear said:
ePiC said:
hmmm epic I haven't had a problem at all with sliding or any stress areas in the line? It's worked well for me this year and ever since I started using it and it has caught some HUGE pike. I don't think you quite understand- the hook really isn't sliding much. Once it is hooked in the bait it stays there. You hook the pike with both trebles which is nice. I haven't had any problems but I can see where one can think that it would be a problem- but in practice it isn't. Basically what I am using is a quick strike rig- it's the same concept.
Well lets see then ePiC's Pike count this year = 0
TFB's pike count this year = way more then ePiC

Hrmmm, I dont know it might be a tough decision. :p Well Hatch like I said the quickstrike is a proven technique, so it will work. Maybe TFB's technique is an improved quick strike and it will also work obviously. There is more then 1 way to skin a cat, thats for sure.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I wouldn't say mine is improved- I'd just say it works the same. There are definitely more ways than one to do it. Another pike fisherman I know who helped me with rifle this ice season gets the anchovie and has this long mustad hook with two hooks on it, and shoves it down the anchovies throat and hooks it like that. I don't know exactly how it works but it does, and it works well. I can't really explain it...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts