Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the sister, niece and nephew and hiked 11 Mile for a bit. Didn't fish it. Midges coming off in droves. It was Sunday (Memorial weekend) so you can just imagine the people. They were about as thick as the midges. Windy as hell, imagine that. I did hit the D.S. for a bit. Saw a a bunch of spawning suckers so I had the kids catch them. Not bad sized suckers really. lol Good thing CPW wanted the pike out. I don't know what we would do if the sucker population got hurt. Anyhow I landed two rainbows in my short stay; roughly 12" and 16" and two suckers. Kids lost a couple of suckers as well.

On the way home Monday I fished the Arkansas below Salida in a 1/2 dz different spots. Didn't have to trespass to land ton of browns and bows. Water is low for this time of year with roughly 24" visibility. The Ark for me is a four fly fishery and the old green rock worm got worn out. I bet dries would have worked in the evening drifted down the bank.

Did a little detour and hit the Taylor in the evening. Water is not as high as I would have preferred but it works. Spent an hour or so walking up and down looking for some good sized fish. Nothing caught my eye so I settled into the run on the 40mph hole. Caught two in the 20"-21" range, nothing special. Both on a tweaked #22 soft hackle on a Leisenring lift. Wished I had more time but needed to get going.

Nobody was fishing Tuesday. LOL Had the Ark to myself at every spot and only two cars in lot at Taylor when I left. Wished I had more time but needed to get home.

All in all the fishing has been good. Maybe I will get a day where I can spend some quality time on the water and not pressed to get moving.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another over the mountain trip.

Pueblo Res looks in good shape. Not nearly as low as what I was thinking. The cove below my aunt and uncle's house has water. I was really expecting that to be mud!

Hit the Ark for a few hours on my way back from Springs. Water levels look like it should.......for September. Evening dry fly fishing should be phenomenal as during my short stint in the late morning(11am) I enticed a few on the surface. The caddis dropper was still most productive (Imagine that). Left the thermometer in my other vest so water temp IDK.

I have never seen that many rafts. I guess rafting companies have no number limit. lol If you like to fish without the bobbing circus screaming and floating by I suggest getting closer to Salida or fish above Salida. Don't even need floaties in what should be rapid sections making for one boring "whitewater" experience. LOL

Have fun on the roads with the RVs pulling boats, OHVs, and cars. If they would just pick a speed that would be fine. Instead they speed up in the passing areas so everyone else has to do 80 to get around before they drop back down to 15 in the curves.:frusty::frusty::mad:

Blue is low for this time of year as you can imagine. Gunnison river flowing at the Lake Fork bridge; not unusual but low. Lots of those frequently submerged islands are not so submerged. Probably will have weeds and trees on them in another few weeks LOL.

Will make for some easy fishing this fall when the Kokanee start staging.

Have a great 4TH!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts